Disasters hold back Queensland Tourism’s Million Dollar Memo campaignMarch 22nd, 2011 - 3:57 pm ICT by ANI
Melbourne, Mar 22 (ANI): The disasters that have struck Australia have held back Queensland Tourism’s Million Dollar Memo campaign, which is like the successful Best Job in the World promotion of 2009.
Million Dollar Memo, which is aimed at the corporate market, offers a tantalising prize with staff from one company anywhere in the world flown to Queensland for a literal million-dollar break.
But after the devastating floods forced a delay to the launch, the Christchurch quake in New Zealand and the quake, tsunami and nuclear crisis in Japan have hurt two of the state’s key tourism markets.
Since the launch, the Million Dollar Memo website has received 32,000 visitors and 80,000 hits compared to 100,000 hits on the first day of the “Best Job” campaign.
Tourism Queensland chief executive Anthony Hayes said there had only been a handful of entries so far and none have met the competition’s criteria yet.
“They haven’t been much to write home about,” News.com.au quoted Hayes as saying.
“It’s no surprise that we’ve been doing it pretty tough, but the reality is that none of our tourism destinations have been affected at all … even places in the tropical North like Cairns have been untouched.
“The big problem at the moment is that our phones have stopped ringing. This campaign is a great way let the public know that Queensland is still open for business,” he said.
He said he was not concerned about the slower start to the competition because they were aiming at a very different business market this time instead of individuals.
To enter, businesses around the world each send in a 60-second video outlining why their workplace deserves an all-expenses paid corporate retreat to the Sunshine State.
Social media is again the driving advertising force for the 6.9 million dollar campaign, but Tourism Queensland has augmented this with global street advertising.
In London, the campaign was launched by men in top hats holding memo signs, in Hong Kong and Korea by people in scuba diving gear, in Germany they had dozens of Skippy kangaroos jumping through the streets, and ads are popping up in elevators across Sydney and Melbourne.
“The story has also been picked up by 270 media outlets across the world, including interest from the UAE, which we haven’t seen before,” Hayes said.
“The greatest interest so far has been from the US, UK, Germany, Malaysia, and of course Australia,” he added.
Submissions are open to May 1 with the competition consisting of three phases and a “People’s Choice” vote.
The winner will be announced on August 31. (ANI)
- Australia eyes 50 million potential Indian globetrotters - Jun 16, 2012
- Britain targets Chinese in post-Olympic tourism - Aug 15, 2012
- 'Best Job in the World' campaign fails to lure foreigners - Nov 08, 2009
- World premiere of Kerala Tourism film in London Tuesday - Sep 18, 2010
- US tourism ad featuring scantily clad Bavarian women is YouTube hit - Feb 11, 2011
- Northern Territory plans travel documentary to promote Top End tourism - Sep 07, 2009
- Canada becomes No. 1 country brand globally - Nov 06, 2010
- Oz firms for legal action against Delhi CWG organizers over unpaid millions - Dec 17, 2010
- Kerala Tourism to launch promo film in UK - Sep 15, 2010
- 'Best job in the World' campaign grabs One Show award in New York - May 07, 2009
- Oprah Winfrey's Oz visit boosts tourism Down Under - Mar 23, 2011
- Mayors battle to lure Oprah Winfrey on Oz visit - Sep 19, 2010
- Tens of thousands across Australia receive death threat SMS - Jul 23, 2012
- Indian tourism upbeat despite tight budget (Comment) - Mar 29, 2012
- Air India to carry ads on aircraft, tickets - Aug 26, 2012
Tags: business market, cairns, chief executive, corporate retreat, disasters, dollar campaign, floods, handful, launch, melbourne, nuclear crisis, quake tsunami, queensland tourism, sunshine state, top hats, tourism destinations, tourism markets, tourism queensland, tropical north, world promotion