Disappointing weekend for Karun at Magny-CoursJune 23rd, 2008 - 3:27 pm ICT by IANS
Magny-Cours (France), June 23 (IANS) A meeting with cricket icon Sachin Tendulkar was the highpoint for Karun Chandhok who otherwise had a rather disappointing weekend with a seventh place finish in the feature race and a retirement in sprint at the GP2 Series here over the weekend. The 24-year-old from Chennai, who prior to the race weekend, secured fresh backing from the growing petro-chemical brand Punj Lloyd in addition to his existing partners Red Bull, JK Tyre, Amaron and ICSA Logistics, was on a high from his recent podium finish in Monaco.
Here he started from eighth place on the grid for the feature race, and despite a delay in the pits, when a rival car drove very close to his mechanics, put in a solid and consistent race to finish seventh.
“I had a pretty strong race. I wasn’t really able to hook the lap up in qualifying but in the race the car worked very well and I got into a good rhythm. I lost a place to Jerome d’Ambrosio in the pit-stops because Pastor Maldonado’s car was uncomfortably close to my mechanics but otherwise I think it’s been a good afternoon,” said Karun.
“I had a good battle with d’Ambrosio and Sebastien Buemi straight after the stop, but it’s so difficult to pass here that I couldn’t make more progress. It’s good to keep my points score ticking over after Monaco, though.”
Seventh place meant a front row start to Sunday’s sprint race, but on a damp track, his engine bogged down at the start, dropping him into the pack. Following a pit-stop to change to slick tyres, he was battling back towards the points when he clashed with Saturday’s winner Giorgio Pantano.
“The race was a big mess. It was a tough choice with the tyre strategy and it was one of those where all the guys at the back who could afford to gamble came out on top while those of us at the front lost out. After changing tyres, I was really catching the group of cars in front including Giorgio, but at one stage about five of us tried to squeeze into the chicane and he and I didn’t come out unscathed! It damaged my front wing and the brake duct, so I had to retire.”
On his meeting with Sachin, who was here as a guest of Force India Formula One team, Karun said: “It was nice to meet Sachin for the first time. I was surprised at how humble he is for someone with such stature in India. He is more than just a casual viewer of the sport and was certainly very keen to learn about the technical and driving intricacies of the sport. Moreover, it was great to interact sportsman to sportsman with a man who has done a lot for our country.”
Chandhok’s next race is at Silverstone in Great Britain on July 5-6. “Silverstone is the next best thing for me. I live five minutes from the circuit and have a great affection for the place. It’s really frustrating to have four non-finishes out of eight races and I’m looking forward to a good weekend at Silverstone where we can really score a good haul of points. It’s a home race for the team as well and we’re going to be pushing like mad for a good result,” he said.
- Motorsport: Karun, team finish sixth at Le Mans - Jun 17, 2012
- JRM team, Karun hoping for good result at Le Mans - Aug 23, 2012
- Chandhok finishes seventh at Silverstone - Aug 27, 2012
- Chandhok set for Le Mans debut - Jun 14, 2012
- Chandhok qualifies seventh for Six Hours of Silverstone - Aug 26, 2012
- Sixth for Force India; Karun 20th in German Grand Prix - Jul 24, 2011
- Karun seventh in GP2 feature race - May 24, 2009
- Force India's Sutil and Di Resta 8th and 12th at the German GP qualifying (Lead) - Jul 24, 2011
- Karun finishes seventh in GP2 race - Aug 30, 2009
- JRM finish 17th in Endurance race - Mar 18, 2012
- Bahrain GP a massive result for Force India: Di Resta - Apr 23, 2012
- India's Armaan seventh at Formula 2 in Silverstone - Apr 18, 2011
- Karun Chandhok moves to touring cars - Jan 12, 2012
- Chandhok scores points in Valencia - Aug 23, 2009
- Karun qualifies 21st for German GP - Jul 24, 2011
Tags: amaron, chennai, consistent race, d ambrosio, eighth place, existing partners, feature race, giorgio pantano, good afternoon, gp2 series, highpoint, icsa, jk tyre, karun, pastor maldonado, petro chemical, punj lloyd, red bull, slick tyres, sprint race