Disabled in China seek job opportunitiesMarch 26th, 2012 - 6:53 pm ICT by IANS
Beijing, March 26 (IANS) Despite efforts by many non-governmental organisations and policymakers to boost employment, a lot of disabled people in China seem to be leading a life full of dejection due to lack of job opportunities.
Statistics of the country’s top disabled rights organisation — China Disabled Persons’ Federation — reveal it received about 17,000 letters, calls and visits from people last year, the China Daily reported.
“Difficulties in finding employment was the top issue for those in urban areas, and was among the three major challenges identified by those in rural areas,” said Bo Shaoye, the federation’s director of rights protection.
About 83 million people in China are believed to have some form of disability. “In 2010, the unemployment rate among this group was 8.6 percent”, said Bo, adding that it is twice as high as the national rate.
Chinese law states that disabled people should make up at least 1.5 percent of the workforce in all government departments, NGOs, enterprises and institutions.
- 75 mn youths to be unemployed in 2012: ILO - May 22, 2012
- Majority US NGOs in China unregistered - Mar 31, 2012
- China to create more jobs for people in cities - Dec 18, 2011
- Disability groups find Pranab's budget heartening - Feb 26, 2010
- Chinese premier promises more jobs - Jul 18, 2012
- Unemployment rises in Spain - Apr 04, 2012
- Canada's unemployment rate falls - Jul 07, 2012
- China saw 80 bn yuan in public donations in 2011 - May 07, 2012
- US Federal Reserve ready to act if Europe crisis worsens - Jun 08, 2012
- China plans to create 45 mn jobs - Feb 08, 2012
- More than five mn out of work in Spain - Jan 28, 2012
- China faces huge employment challenges - Mar 07, 2012
- South Korea's unemployment rate falls a little - Dec 14, 2011
- China to create 400,000 jobs for ethnic minorities - Feb 02, 2012
- Chinese premier warns of `complicated, grim' job situation - Jul 23, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,