Di’s jury coach crashes in ParisNovember 14th, 2007 - 1:51 am ICT by admin
The crash happened when the coach drove away from the front of the hotel and clipped one of the police outriders tasked with guiding the party through the city, knocking him off his bike.
The policeman was not injured and, watched by dozens of members of the press, he got back on his motorbike.
But moments later, there was a loud bang as the coach crashed into a pillar, bursting a tyre and damaging the bodywork.
However, the tyre was quickly replaced and the coach continued on its journey.
The jurors were then shown the rear entrance of the hotel from which Diana and her boyfriend Dodi Fayed left on the night of the crash in an unsuccessful effort to avoid the paparazzi.
They were then driven to the Pont de l’Alma underpass where the black Mercedes crashed ten years ago, killing Diana, Dodi and their chauffer Henri Paul.
Lord Justice Scott Baker, the coroner, pointed out the 13th pillar in the tunnel, into which the Mercedes carrying the Princess and Dodi Fayed crashed.
A large portion of concrete was missing from the nearside corner of the pillar.
The jurors were given 15 minutes to inspect the scene of the crash in the tunnel, which they did in virtual silence.
The jury is also scheduled to trace the route followed from the Alma tunnel to the Pitie-Salpetriere Hospital, where the Princess was given emergency treatment before she died.
It is expected that they will also tour the Ritz Hotel where Diana and Dodi dined in the hours before their deaths. (ANI)
- Chauffeur behind Princess Di's death was 'framed as a drunk driver' - May 20, 2010
- 'Princess Diana was murdered' - Jul 22, 2010
- Letter on Di's fears of being killed withheld by senior police officers - Sep 26, 2009
- `Princess Diana died as attempt to scare her went wrong' - Mar 12, 2010
- Tony Blair 'worried for Princess Di' when she started dating Dodi Fayed - Sep 03, 2010
- Di's death was not an accident, says leading lawyer - Sep 02, 2009
- Di's driver's 'overzealous steering' caused crash - Nov 14, 2007
- 'Diana died after plan to frighten her into leaving lover went horribly wrong' - Mar 12, 2010
- Deaths of Diana, Dodi al-Fayed were 'unlawful killing' - Apr 08, 2008
- French owner wants back car that killed Diana - Sep 07, 2008
- Diana inquest jury retires, to begin deliberations - Apr 02, 2008
- Princess Di's driver's blood test 'wasn't verified' - Aug 09, 2010
- Mohamed al-Fayed claims he torched Harrods' royal warrants - Aug 23, 2010
- Frenchman who 'heard Diana's dying words' exposed as a common thief - Nov 02, 2010
- Diana crash tunnel opened to public - Nov 14, 2007
Tags: alma underpass, black mercedes, boyfriend dodi, chauffer, coach, crash, diana, dodi fayed, french capital, jurors, lord justice, loud bang, pillar, princess, scott baker, tyre, unsuccessful effort, virtual silence