Dis former butler Paul Burrell could now face perjury inquiryApril 8th, 2008 - 10:39 pm ICT by admin
London, April 8 (ANI): Former royal butler Paul Burrell could now face a perjury investigation following the conclusion of the inquest into the deaths of Princess Diana and her lover Dodi al Fayed.
After returning to the US, Burrell was secretly recorded in a New York hotel admitting he had not told the “whole truth”.
“I was very naughty, and I laid a couple of red herrings,” he said.
Last month Burrell refused a request from the coroner to return to court to explain what he meant when he was caught on tape telling a friend he had included “red herrings” in his evidence.
A spokesman for the coroner said it was not within his sphere of activity to investigate perjury and had no plans to refer the matter.
Scotland Yard said any action it would take around allegations of perjury would not be dealt with until conclusion of the inquests.
Now, with the verdicts finally returned, Burrell could yet find himself back under scrutiny, reports the Scotsman.
After hearing evidence for six months, the jury retired on Apr 2, and spent a total of nearly 24 hours deliberating five possible verdicts: unlawful killing by Mr Paul, the paparazzi or a combination of both; accidental death; or an open verdict.
On Apr 7, the jury concluded that Diana and her lover Dodi died because of gross negligence by both driver Henri Paul and the pursuing photographers.
The couple were killed alongside Paul when the Mercedes he was driving crashed in the Alma Tunnel in Paris on August 31, 1997. (ANI)
- 'Princess Diana was murdered' - Jul 22, 2010
- Chauffeur behind Princess Di's death was 'framed as a drunk driver' - May 20, 2010
- `Princess Diana died as attempt to scare her went wrong' - Mar 12, 2010
- Di's death was not an accident, says leading lawyer - Sep 02, 2009
- 'Diana died after plan to frighten her into leaving lover went horribly wrong' - Mar 12, 2010
- Princess Di's driver's blood test 'wasn't verified' - Aug 09, 2010
- '500 pieces of crucial evidence withheld in Princess Diana inquest' - Aug 07, 2010
- 'Innocent' Princess Di's driver 'set up' by French authorities, claims book - Mar 15, 2010
- Paul Burrell wont be investigated for perjury during Di inquest - Mar 08, 2008
- Dis former butler Burrell may face perjury probe - Mar 07, 2008
- Scotland Yard to probe Dis ex butler Paul Burrell over perjury - Apr 09, 2008
- Princess Di has concluded her death was a 'well-planned accident': Psychic - Aug 31, 2010
- Princess Diana's former butler 'wants to patch up with William' - Nov 22, 2010
- Stalker threatens to kill Princess Diana's butler - Aug 20, 2012
- Kate will wear ghost of Diana on hand: Ex-butler - Apr 26, 2011
Tags: accidental death, al fayed, coroner, driver henri paul, gross negligence, inquest, inquests, new york hotel, open verdict, paparazzi, paul burrell, perjury, princess diana, red herrings, scotland yard, scotsman, scrutiny, sphere, tunnel in paris, whole truth