Dis former butler Burrell may face perjury probeMarch 7th, 2008 - 1:23 pm ICT by admin
London, Mar 7 (ANI): Princess Dianas former butler Paul Burrell is facing a possible perjury investigation, after he refused to return to the UK to answer accusations that he lied when he gave evidence at the inquest into her death.
In a video tape filmed during a meeting in a New York hotel , the former royal butler was candid to a pal about the fact that he deliberately misled the coroner, High Court judge Lord Justice Scott Baker.
According to British paper The Sun, Burrell admitted that he threw in red herrings and held back facts during his testimony.
He is heard saying on the tape: When you swear an oath, you have to tell the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth. I told the truth as far as I could but I didnt tell the whole truth.
Perjury is not a nice thing to have to contemplate. I was very naughty and I made a couple of red herrings, and I couldnt help doing it. I know you shouldnt play with justice and I know its illegal and I realise how serious it is.
A spokesman for the coroner however said that it was not within Lord Justice Bakers remit to investigate perjury, and that he had no plans to do so.
It is not within his remit, hes not going to get involved with it for the reason that it could guide the jury, The Sun quoted the spokesman, as saying.
However, he did not categorically rule out the possibility of a perjury investigation after the inquest ends, adding that it was open to anyone to bring a complaint to police against Burrell.
Anybody could ask the police to look into this if they so chose and it would be up to the police. (ANI)
- Scotland Yard to probe Dis ex butler Paul Burrell over perjury - Apr 09, 2008
- Burrell trying to wriggle out of grilling at Di inquest - Mar 03, 2008
- Paul Burrell wont be investigated for perjury during Di inquest - Mar 08, 2008
- Dis ex-butler Paul Burrell recalled to inquest over discrepancies - Feb 23, 2008
- Dis butler admits he didnt tell the whole truth at inquest - Feb 18, 2008
- Paul Burrells wifes outrage at his refusal to return to Di inquest - Mar 08, 2008
- Dis ex-butler Paul Burrell escapes perjury probe - May 10, 2008
- Dis former butler Paul Burrell could now face perjury inquiry - Apr 08, 2008
- Prince William preparing to wed Kate Middleton, says Diana's former butler - Aug 15, 2010
- Court allows surrogate mother to keep baby - Jan 22, 2011
- Kate will wear ghost of Diana on hand: Ex-butler - Apr 26, 2011
- '500 pieces of crucial evidence withheld in Princess Diana inquest' - Aug 07, 2010
- Coroner: Amy Winehouse's death is non suspicious - Jul 25, 2011
- Nitish Katara murder witness guilty of lying, says convict (Lead) - Jul 18, 2012
- Jessica case: Hostile witnesses to now face the heat - Feb 17, 2011
Tags: accusations, bakers, coroner, court judge, inquest, lord justice, new york hotel, nice thing, nothing but the truth, paul burrell, perjury, princess dianas, red herrings, scott baker, spokesman, testimony, to tell the truth, truth the whole truth and nothing but the truth, video tape, whole truth