Dis butler admits he didnt tell the whole truth at inquestFebruary 18th, 2008 - 1:31 pm ICT by admin
London, Feb 18 (ANI): Princess Dianas butler has confessed on video tape that he did not reveal the whole truth at the inquest into the late royals death.
The tape may now land Burrell in trouble as he could now face arrest for committing perjury.
In the tape, the former royal butler is candid about the fact that he deliberately misled the coroner, High Court judge Lord Justice Scott Baker, saying: I was very naughty.
According to British paper The Sun, Burrell admits on tape that he threw in red herrings and held back facts during his testimony at the inquest.
Burrell tell a pal: When you swear an oath, you have to tell the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth.
I told the truth as far as I could but I didnt tell the whole truth. Perjury is not a nice thing to have to contemplate.
I was very naughty and I made a couple of red herrings, and I couldnt help doing it.
I know you shouldnt play with justice and I know its illegal and I realise how serious it is.
When asked if it was wrong to commit perjury, Burrell says: Maybe I didnt tell the whole truth. Who was it to protect? My own integrity.
Do you honestly think Ive told everything I know? Of course I havent.
Do you honestly think I am actually going to sit there in a court of law and tip out my guts and tell them? Thats what he wanted me to do the judge to actually tell them what I know, all the secrets. No! You know me better than that.
When his friend suggests that Burrell did a deal with the Queen to hold back facts about how Di died, he adds: I sacrificed my own integrity for the bigger picture. No I didnt tell the whole truth. But he put me in the most unenviable position, that coroner. Because he said I had to report the conversation I had with the Queen.
The conversation with the Queen was three hours long. And I wasnt about to sit there and divulge everything she said to me. I wasnt going do that. I said, Do I have to answer that question? He said, Yes, you do. I said, Well, she showed great concern. That was all I was prepared to say.
On the three-hour tape that was shot in New York, Burrell also says that the only reason he went to the UK for the inquest was because his aides persuaded him that not doing so would hit business badly.
I contemplated very seriously not going. I really didnt want to go, right up to the last minute, he says on the tape.
People who do my merchandising brands in America said, If you didnt go, its not going to look good for you. (ANI)
- Dis former butler Burrell may face perjury probe - Mar 07, 2008
- Paul Burrell wont be investigated for perjury during Di inquest - Mar 08, 2008
- Burrell trying to wriggle out of grilling at Di inquest - Mar 03, 2008
- Paul Burrells wifes outrage at his refusal to return to Di inquest - Mar 08, 2008
- Dis ex-butler Paul Burrell recalled to inquest over discrepancies - Feb 23, 2008
- Kate will wear ghost of Diana on hand: Ex-butler - Apr 26, 2011
- Yuvraj in no hurry to marry - Oct 05, 2011
- Prince William preparing to wed Kate Middleton, says Diana's former butler - Aug 15, 2010
- Gaga inherited raunchy behaviour from dad - Jul 23, 2011
- Dis former butler Paul Burrell could now face perjury inquiry - Apr 08, 2008
- Aamer warns players against fixing in ICC video - Apr 05, 2012
- Gingrich says no hypocrisy behind blaming Bill Clinton and not himself for marital infidelity - Mar 28, 2011
- Butler's baring act at sister's wedding - Jan 09, 2012
- "Patang" is totally unique: Seema Biswas (Interview) (With Images) - Jun 15, 2012
- Scotland Yard to probe Dis ex butler Paul Burrell over perjury - Apr 09, 2008
Tags: coroner, court judge, dis, guts, inquest, integrity, london feb, lord justice, nice thing, nothing but the truth, perjury, princess dianas butler, red herrings, scott baker, testimony, to tell the truth, truth the whole truth and nothing but the truth, unenviable position, video tape, whole truth