Dilshan takes Delhi Daredevils to victory over Royal Challengers (Lead)April 26th, 2009 - 10:29 pm ICT by IANS
Port Elizabeth, April 26 (IANS) Tillakaratne Dilshan’s explosive knock guided Delhi Daredevils to a six-wicket victory over Bangalore Royal Challengers at St. George’s Park here Sunday.
Electing to bat, Bangalore Royal Challengers recovered from a bad start through contributions from the middle-order to post 149 for seven in the stipulated 20 overs.
Daredevils lost wickets at regular interval before Dilshan rescued them with a fighting 67 off 47 balls. The Delhi team thus registered their third straight victory.
Bangalore Royal Challengers slumped to their fourth loss in five matches. They made an impressive start crushing defending champions Rajasthan Royals, but since then lost some close matches to find themselves at the bottom of the table.
With the top-order not clicking, Royal Challengers shuffled their batting order but it failed to yield any result. Royal Challengers batting problem compounded with in-form Rahul Dravid returning home to be with his wife who is expecting the couple’s second child.
The new opening pair of Jacques Kallis and Robin Uthappa left with just 10 runs on the board.
Kevin Pietersen (37) and Ross Taylor (31) build the foundation for a late assault, but they fell in quick succession. Daniel Vettori removed Pietersen while Amit Mishra dismissed Taylor to halt Bangalore’s momentum. Virat Kohli scored 22 before Ashish Nehra (2-34) trapped him lbw.
Mark Boucher with two fours and two sixes took them to a decent total.
Daredevils, boasting of a strong batting line-up, did not have the ideal start with Royal Challengers paceman Pankaj Singh taking out the dangerous opening pair of Virender Sehwag and Gautam Gambhir with the team’s total on 42.
Dilshan and A.B. de Villiers added 42 runs before left-arm slow bowler K. Appanna rattled the stumps of the South African.
With the asking rate climbing, it was left to Dilshan to see the team through. Mithun Manhas supported the Sri Lankan scoring 23 off 21 balls.
Daredevils needed 50 from 31 balls when Dilshan and Manhas cut loose with a flurry of strokes. They were also helped by some sloppy fielding from Royal Challengers.
Dilshan’s second successive half-century included five fours and two sixes.
- Rayudu, Pollard fashion sensational win for Mumbai Indians (Lead) - May 15, 2012
- Kings XI clinch a thriller against Royal Challengers (Lead) - May 03, 2012
- Sehwag smashes fifth consecutive 50 in Daredevils' comprehensive win (Lead) - May 02, 2012
- De Villiers wins hearts, gives his MOM award to Apanna - Apr 24, 2012
- Collingwood powers Daredevils to third home victory (Lead) - Apr 05, 2010
- Pietersen stars in Daredevils's convincing win over Deccan Chargers (Lead) - Apr 19, 2012
- Muralitharan, Vettori guide Royal Challengers to win over Daredevils (Roundup) - Apr 07, 2012
- Pune Warriors opt to bat against Royal Challengers - Apr 17, 2012
- RCB hopes to maintain winning spree - Apr 25, 2012
- Bowlers standing tall in IPL - May 03, 2012
- Daredevils look to avoid complacency against Rajasthan - Apr 28, 2012
- Old guard out to make a statement in IPL - Apr 12, 2011
- IPL Scoreboard: Pune Warriors vs. Royal Challengers - Apr 18, 2012
- Keen tussle on cards as Chargers looks to spoil RCB's party (Preview) - May 19, 2012
- Royal Challengers thrash Rajasthan Royals by 46 runs (Lead) - Apr 24, 2012
Tags: ashish, challengers, daredevils, gambhir, jacques kallis, kevin pietersen, kohli, manhas, mark boucher, mishra, mithun, pankaj, robin uthappa, ross taylor, s park, sehwag, straight victory, two fours, two sixes, wicket victory