Diet, exercise combination best way to lose weightApril 15th, 2011 - 1:09 pm ICT by IANS
Washington, April 15 (IANS) The combination of dieting and exercise can make you shed 11 percent of your weight — way more than what you would lose by following either of the strategy individually, says a new study.
“We were surprised at how successful the women were,” said Anne McTiernan, director of the Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Centre (FHCRC), reports the journal Obesity.
The year-long intervention involved 439 overweight-to-obese, sedentary, post-menopausal, Seattle-area women, aged 50-75, who were randomly assigned to one of four groups: exercise only, diet only, exercise and diet and no intervention.
Researchers found that the women in the exercise-only group lost, on average, 2.4 percent of their starting weight as compared to an average weight loss of 8.5 percent among women in the diet-only group.
The greatest weight loss was achieved by women who both changed their diet and exercised regularly; these women shed an average of 10.8 percent of their starting weight (with a mean weight loss of 19.8 pounds).
Two-thirds of the women in this group achieved the study goal of losing at least 10 percent of their starting weight.
“Even though this degree of weight loss may not bring an obese individual to a normal weight, losing even this modest amount of weight can bring health benefits such as a reduced risk of diabetes, heart disease and cancer,” added Mc Tiernan, who led the study, according to a FHCRC statement.
- Diet and exercise 'more effective for weight loss when combined' - Apr 15, 2011
- Don't skip meals to shed weight - Jul 15, 2012
- Weight loss increases Vitamin D in obese women - May 26, 2011
- No risk for weight reducers from high fat diets - Jun 01, 2011
- Weight Watchers' members lose twice as many kilos - Sep 08, 2011
- Proteins protect bones during weight loss dieting - Dec 01, 2011
- Here are 6 tips to kick start weight loss in the New Year - Dec 26, 2010
- Minimising fat with more exercise easy way to shed weight - May 07, 2012
- Weight loss helps boost low testosterone levels - Jun 26, 2012
- Better body image helps weight loss - Jul 18, 2011
- Diet Programs May Not Enable The Folks To Evade The Risk Of Diseases - Jan 28, 2011
- Diet Programs May Not Cut Disease Risk - Jan 28, 2011
- Parents can motivate kids into shedding weight - Mar 15, 2012
- 10 tips to steer clear of breast cancer - Oct 03, 2010
- Lose weight post-pregnancy - but don't rush it - Jun 15, 2012
Tags: anne mctiernan, best way to lose weight, cancer research centre, diabetes, diet exercise, fhcrc, fred hutchinson cancer, fred hutchinson cancer research, health benefits, heart disease, obesity, overweight, post menopausal, risk, seattle area, study goal, tiernan, two thirds, weight loss