Diego confirms Juve intentions, Bayern distance themselvesMay 15th, 2009 - 2:20 pm ICT by IANS
Bremen (Germany), May 15 (DPA) Werder Bremen playmaker Diego looks certain to move to Juventus Turin after confirming that he has already agreed terms with the Italian giants and Bayern Munich made it clear they weren’t interested in the player.
Both Juve and Bremen admitted last week that they were in talks over a possible transfer but the Brazilian had hinted that he might be interested in staying in Germany if Bayern stepped in.
However, Bayern chairman Karl-Heinz Rummenigge made it clear to the Bild newspaper that the German champions were not in the market for Diego.
“We are withdrawing from this whole affair. After all, we are a respectable club,” said Rummenigge on the evening he confirmed Louis van Gaal would be at the Bayern helm next season.
“What is going on at the moment is very irritating for us.”
Diego told Thursday’s edition of the Kreiszeitung Syke newspaper that while he had agreed matters with Juve, no contract had been signed and that if Bremen told him Bayern were interested, he would investigate it.
“I think everything will be clear by Friday,” said Diego. “After all, it’s about time a decision was made.”
Diego, 24, came to Bremen in 2006 from Porto and has a contract until 2011. He is said to cost up to 30 million euros ($40 million) in the case of a summer departure.
- Russian gas giant may sponsor Bayern Munich - Dec 23, 2011
- Bremen sign Dutch midfielder Eljero Elia till 2016 - Jul 11, 2012
- Diego signs with Juventus in move from Bremen - May 26, 2009
- Watch out Europe, Bayern are back - Dec 09, 2009
- We are not the favourites: German soccer coach - Jun 02, 2012
- Bayern's Rummenigge denies Ribery rift with coach - Sep 03, 2009
- Schaaf declines comment on reported talks with Wolfsburg - May 09, 2009
- Javi Martinez joins German side Bayern Munich - Aug 30, 2012
- Rudi Krol eager to coach Indian football team - May 06, 2011
- Dortmund close in on title after beating Bayern - Apr 12, 2012
- Excited to be back in India: Thomas Mueller - Dec 19, 2011
- Werder Bremen reject Real Madrid offer for Oezil - Aug 14, 2010
- Nigerian striker Akpala joins Werder Bremen - Aug 24, 2012
- Bayern facing early exit - van Gaal too? - Nov 24, 2009
- Dutch star Ruud Gullit arrives in Kolkata - Jul 28, 2012