Did Osama hide terror codes in Bible?February 29th, 2012 - 9:32 pm ICT by IANS
London, Feb 29 (IANS) Slain Al Qaeda chief Osama bin Laden kept two copies of the Bible where he wrote secret clues to future terror attacks to be conducted across the globe, according to Pakistani intelligence officials.
The two copies of the Bible were found hidden at the house in Pakistan’s Abbottabad city, close to Islamabad, where the world’s most-wanted terrorist was killed by US Navy Seals in May last year, The Sun reported Wednesday.
The Christian holy books were unearthed by demolition crews sent in to raze the mansion to the ground.
Sources told The Sun that several pages of the English editions of the Bible were folded and particular texts marked.
Officials of Pakistani spy agency Inter-Services Intelligence were now examining the books in a bid to find out more.
The report said there could be another theory that bin Laden may have been seeking out Christian texts to justify his actions.
Two concealed radio sets were also discovered at the building.
“We had already cleared the compound before demolition but found two copies of the Bible and two radio sets. The Bibles were in English and we cannot be sure why they were there. These copies were found as we checked the rooms for the final time before demolishing the building,” an ISI official told The Sun.
“The radios are in working condition and will be given with the Bibles to the investigators. Some pages were folded and we will see later what was of most interest to bin Laden. Maybe, he was looking for teachings of jihad,” he said.
The report also said that after the demolition, authorities favour building a hospital there. But religious fanatics reportedly want a mosque or an Islamic madrassa school, which could ultimately become a rallying point for bin Laden followers.
Pakistan Interior Minister Rehman Malik said: “We are considering what to do. While we are open to talks with the militants, we believe the madrassa option will not be the best one. But we might have to accept the demands of the people in Abbottabad.”
Asked about the Bibles, Malik said: “The belongings of Osama bin Laden will not be handed to anyone. We will keep them and maybe burn them later when they are of no use. If there is a Bible there, it will be sent to a library or a church.”
- Inquiry into why Pakistan intelligence couldn't track Osama - May 03, 2011
- US prepared for Osama with model having minutest detail - May 17, 2012
- Catfight between Osama wives: Third accuses first of betrayal - Mar 15, 2012
- Zardari says Osama raid only US operation, hunt for house owner (Lead) - May 03, 2011
- Osama's death in line with U.S. policy: Pak envoy - May 02, 2011
- Pakistan to blow up Osama's hideout - Jan 10, 2012
- Woman nabbed from Abbottabad house being quizzed - May 03, 2011
- Osama's Pakistan hideout razed - Feb 27, 2012
- Pakistan provided information on Osama courier, claims governor - May 05, 2011
- Osama bin Laden killed, Pakistan kept in dark (Roundup) - May 02, 2011
- Experts don't buy 'ISI didn't know of Osama's presence in Abbottabad' story - May 03, 2011
- Countdown to Osama bin Laden's end (Lead, with fresh matter) - May 02, 2011
- Needle of suspicion pointing towards Pak Army, ISI over Osama's support network - May 05, 2011
- Without internet, phone, Osama depended on couriers: NYT - May 08, 2011
- Osama killed in Pakistan, justice done: Obama (Fourth Lead) - May 02, 2011
Tags: abbottabad, christian texts, city close, demolition crews, english editions, feb 29, holy books, intelligence officials, inter services, interior minister, london feb, madrassa, radio sets, rallying point, rehman malik, religious fanatics, report also said that, spy agency, terror attacks, us navy seals