Dictator Bainimarama says Australia once threatened to invade FijiMay 1st, 2009 - 12:56 pm ICT by ANI
Suva (Fiji), May 1 (ANI): Fiji’s military ruler Commodore Frank Bainimarama has revealed that Australia’s defence force chief Angus Houston threatened to invade the country in 2006, shortly after the coup which brought him to power.
“He woke me up early in the morning to tell me don’t ever do anything that will pit my troops against yours,’ Bainimarama told Sky News.
“It was a threat, he made a threat,’ he added.
Bainimarama said he was affected at the time by a heavy night of drinking kava, but he thought Houston must have been drunk to make such a comment.
Under fire for his decision to abandon elections due this year, Bainimarama has offered to talk it through with Australian Prime Minister Kevin Rudd.
There would be no election in Fiji until September 2014, he said, defying calls from Australian and other Pacific Island Forum nations for Fiji to return to democracy.
Bainimarama said, he would be willing to meet with the leaders of Australia and New Zealand immediately, provided they accepted his point of view.
Bainimarama indicated curbs on the Fijian media would continue for some time, adding the extended emergency measures would include censorship. (ANI)
- Fiji military chief says he might delay promised elections - Jul 13, 2010
- Fiji courts China to Indian community's dismay (Comment) - Aug 15, 2010
- Former Fiji PM Chaudhry questioned for tax evasion - Jul 23, 2010
- Pacific tit-for-tat on cards after Fiji expels diplomats - Nov 04, 2009
- Ex-Fiji PM Mahendra Chaudhry arrested by military regime - Oct 03, 2010
- Former Fiji premier faces corruption trial - Jan 15, 2010
- New Zealand threatened Fiji's military chief with 'loss of family access' over coup - Dec 25, 2010
- Fiji expels diplomats from New Zealand, Australia - Nov 03, 2009
- Fiji pulls out of regional trade talks - Aug 10, 2009
- Fiji military leader defiant over clampdown - Apr 15, 2009
- UN chief hails Fiji's plan for new constitution - Mar 13, 2012
- Fiji strongman gets honour for service to humanity - Apr 24, 2009
- Military government tightens control in Fiji (Lead) - Apr 14, 2009
- Aussie PM condemns Fiji emergency as "military dictatorship" - Apr 12, 2009
- Fiji military government censors media - Apr 12, 2009
Tags: angus, australia and new zealand, australian prime minister, censorship, commodore frank bainimarama, coup, curbs, defence force, democracy, dictator, elections, emergency measures, kava, may 1, military ruler, pacific island forum, point of view, sky news, suva fiji