DiCaprio could play Lenin in new Russian black comedyAugust 4th, 2008 - 8:20 pm ICT by IANS
Moscow, Aug 4 (RIA Novosti) Hollywood star Leonardo DiCaprio could take on the role of Soviet revolutionary leader Vladimir Lenin in a new black comedy, a Russian screenwriter has said. “As we compared his (DiCaprio’s) photos with those of Lenin… the similarity was striking. I should even say that Leo could play the role of the revolutionary leader without make-up,” said Russian screenwriter Alexander Borodyansky Sunday.
The director of the Moscow International Film Festival, Natalya Semina, said, “It is common knowledge that DiCaprio has Slavic roots. His ancestors on his mother’s side emigrated from Russia to Germany.”
Lenin’s “Brain” (the film’s working title) is a black comedy with a $20 million budget. According to the plot, in the late 20th century, Russian scientists create Lenin’s clone. He then comes to the US and sparks a socialist revolution there in 2024.
DiCaprio, 33, shot to fame for his role in the 1997 blockbuster “Titanic”. He was the fifth highest paid actor in Hollywood last year, earning $45 million, according to Forbes magazine.
The embalmed body of Bolshevik leader Lenin has been on public display in a glass case in a mausoleum on Red Square since his death in 1924.
His continuing presence in the heart of Moscow has been an ongoing source of controversy since the collapse of the Soviet Union in 1991.
- Half of Russians want Lenin buried: Poll - Jun 14, 2012
- 'Russians want Lenin removed from Moscow mausoleum' - Jan 24, 2011
- Should Lenin's body be buried, asks poll (Lead) - Jan 23, 2011
- Russia wants to bury Lenin? - Jan 23, 2011
- 60 percent of Russians want Lenin's body to be buried - Feb 03, 2011
- Lenin's niece dies aged 89 - Mar 26, 2011
- Lenin monument vandalised in Russia - Sep 01, 2012
- Lenin's body may be removed from Red Square mausoleum: Gorbachev - Jan 21, 2011
- Russia marks 140th anniversary of Lenin's birth - Apr 22, 2010
- Russia allows NATO to use air base - Jun 30, 2012
- Vladimir Putin hails Leonardo DiCaprio as a 'real man' after flight scares - Nov 24, 2010
- Dicaprio in talks to portray Lenin in new flick - Aug 05, 2008
- Boris Yeltsin's statue vandalised in Russia - Aug 25, 2012
- DiCaprio likes complicated characters - Dec 17, 2011
- Olympics: Putin lauds 'brilliant' Russian judo golds - Aug 03, 2012
Tags: black comedy, blockbuster, bolshevik leader, collapse of the soviet union, embalmed body, forbes magazine, glass case, highest paid actor, highest paid actor in hollywood, hollywood star, international film festival, leonardo dicaprio, moscow international film festival, revolutionary leader, ria novosti, russian scientists, semina, slavic roots, socialist revolution, vladimir lenin