Diana Inquest: Paparazzi called out to colleague ‘She’s dead, hurry up’November 14th, 2007 - 2:45 am ICT by admin
The second photographer, who was riding a scooter, then approached the Mercedes, Chenna, told the High Court in London.
The motorist, who had been driving through the Pont de l’Alma underpass in Paris with his girlfriend on August 31, 1997 when he encountered the horrific crash, told the jury that he saw many scooters halting next to the Mercedes.
One of the riders, he said, remained on his vehicle but there were also three people on foot around the wrecked car, reports the Daily Mail.
“The three people on foot were going round the car and were looking inside it. The person on the scooter, still behind the handlebars, was about 10 metres in front of the vehicle and was watching,” Chenna said in a statement to French authorities at the time, which was read to the jury on Oct 22.
He said the scooter rider began leaving but the photographer who had opened the car door ran after him shouting, “she’s dead, hurry up.”
When Chenna was shown a series of photographs of paparazzi at the scene, he said the man he saw open the door was photographer Romuald Rat, and the scooter rider was Serge Benhamou.
The court also heard from an eyewitness who said the “swarm” of paparazzi on motorbikes pursuing Princess Diana may have caused the crash.
Brian Anderson, a U.S. businessman who was travelling in a taxi behind the Princess’s car, explained how he was overtaken by three motorbikes which were just two feet behind the Mercedes.
“The bikes were in a cluster, a swarm,” Anderson said.
When asked later by a U.S. news channel if he thought the motorbikes caused the crash, Anderson replied: “Yes, I believe that they contributed to something happening that caused the car to lose control.”
Seconds later he said he saw a bright burst of light followed by the sound of an explosion as the Mercedes crashed. Anderson, who was returning from a dinner with friends that night, said French police had dismissed his evidence.
The inquest is gathering evidence on the deaths of Diana and Dodi, whose father believes they were murdered in an Establishment plot to stop them marrying. (ANI)
- Frenchman who 'heard Diana's dying words' exposed as a common thief - Nov 02, 2010
- Gaga fears dying like Lady Diana - Dec 08, 2011
- '500 pieces of crucial evidence withheld in Princess Diana inquest' - Aug 07, 2010
- 'Princess Diana was murdered' - Jul 22, 2010
- Chauffeur behind Princess Di's death was 'framed as a drunk driver' - May 20, 2010
- Lady Gaga has an acute fear of dying - Dec 12, 2011
- Princess Di's driver's blood test 'wasn't verified' - Aug 09, 2010
- Wills broke off with Kate on cellphone in 2007, reveals new book - Dec 20, 2010
- Princess Diana's life to be made into a movie - Feb 06, 2012
- Bieber files complaint against paparazzo - Jul 09, 2012
- Christmas engagement for Prince William? - Dec 07, 2009
- 'Innocent' Princess Di's driver 'set up' by French authorities, claims book - Mar 15, 2010
- Poll reveals that Princess Diana is the favorite royal in UK - Aug 31, 2011
- China's Princess Diana Lingerie Ad Unveiled on Anniversary of her Death, Causes Outrage - Sep 02, 2010
- Jessica Chastain to play Princess Diana - Nov 08, 2011
Tags: alma underpass, burst of light, car reports, colleague, french authorities, horrific crash, hurry up, mail, man jumped, mercedes one, motorbikes, paparazzi, photographer romuald rat, princess diana, scooter, swarm, u s news, wrecked car