‘Diana died after plan to frighten her into leaving lover went horribly wrong’March 12th, 2010 - 2:51 pm ICT by ANI
London, Mar 12 (ANI): Britain’s best-known defence lawyer has claimed that the death of Princess Diana was brought about by a failed attempt to frighten her into leaving lover Dodi Fayed.
Michael Mansfield QC, who represented Dodi’s father, Mohamed Al Fayed, at the six-month inquest in 2008 into the couple’s deaths, said he was sure Diana’s killers had no intention of ending her life in a Paris underpass in August 1997.
But he claimed an operation to torpedo her relationship with Dodi and silence her planned criticism of the Government over land mine sales abroad, backfired spectacularly.
“I don’t believe anyone wanted to see her dead. I think there was a plan to sabotage the relationship and alter her life, to try to stop her activities. But this plan went very badly and ended with her death,” the Daily Express quoted Mansfield as saying in an interview with the Barcelona-based newspaper El Periodico.
The radical QC, whose long list of famous cases has included the Jean Charles de Menezes inquest, has previously claimed Diana’s death was no accident.
He outlined his views in memoirs published last year on his colourful 40-year career. But his latest comments offer further insight into his feelings about the case.
Mansfield said British authorities opposed several aspects of Diana’s private and public life.
“I believe the relationship between Diana and Dodi displeased the authorities. In spite of all the work Mohamed Al Fayed did for children and hospitals, he was persona non grata in Britain,” he said.
Adding: “Diana had given interviews attacking the Royal Family, but what most annoyed the authorities was that Diana became very actively involved in the campaign against land mines.”
An inquest jury concluded that the grossly negligent driving of chauffeur Henri Paul and pursuing vehicles had unlawfully killed Diana. (ANI)
- `Princess Diana died as attempt to scare her went wrong' - Mar 12, 2010
- 'Princess Diana was murdered' - Jul 22, 2010
- 'Di was murdered because she planned to expose UK's role in arms trade' - Jun 01, 2010
- 'Princess Di was killed to end romance with Dodi' - Mar 29, 2010
- Di's death was not an accident, says leading lawyer - Sep 02, 2009
- 'Innocent' Princess Di's driver 'set up' by French authorities, claims book - Mar 15, 2010
- Chauffeur behind Princess Di's death was 'framed as a drunk driver' - May 20, 2010
- Princess Di's driver's blood test 'wasn't verified' - Aug 09, 2010
- '500 pieces of crucial evidence withheld in Princess Diana inquest' - Aug 07, 2010
- Diana's death linked to Britain's arms deal - Jun 02, 2010
- Letter on Di's fears of being killed withheld by senior police officers - Sep 26, 2009
- Princess Diana, Dodi Fayed memorials to be removed from Harrods? - Aug 15, 2010
- Mohamed al-Fayed claims he torched Harrods' royal warrants - Aug 23, 2010
- Tony Blair 'worried for Princess Di' when she started dating Dodi Fayed - Sep 03, 2010
- Di crash investigators fined over legal delays, bungles - Oct 24, 2009
Tags: august 1997, british authorities, charles de menezes, chauffeur, colourful, daily express, death of princess diana, defence lawyer, henri paul, inquest jury, jean charles de menezes, killers, land mines, memoirs, michael mansfield qc, mohamed al fayed, negligent driving, princess diana, royal family, underpass