‘Diabetes kills one person every eight seconds’November 14th, 2011 - 1:05 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, Nov 14 (IANS) Diabetes kills one person every eight seconds, Pakistani Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani has said, adding that the cost of treatment amounts to a staggring $465 billion in the neighbourhood.
Gilani said that World Diabetes Day 2011 being observed Nov 14 around the world draws attention to the lethality of disease and underscores the need of preventive measures at individual and collective levels.
In his his message, the prime minister said the facts and figures released by the International Diabetes Federation are startling.
According to these figures, he said, around 366 million people suffer from diabetes, of whom 4.6 million die every year, Associated Press of Pakistan reported.
He said the cost of treatment and care for diabetic patients annually amounts to about $465 billion in the neighbourhood.
What must be a matter of global concern, Gilani said, is the fact that despite such a huge spending, diabetes remains on the upward trajectory.
The prime minister said the disease affects people of all age groups, rich and poor alike, without any discrimination.
- Mumbai marks World Diabetes Day - Nov 13, 2011
- Pakistan has seven million diabetic patients - Nov 15, 2011
- Need to speed up global solutions for chronic diseases, say researchers - Sep 16, 2010
- Pakistani PM to donate liver - Nov 27, 2010
- AHA Predicts Tripled Heart Care Costs In Next Thirty Years - Jan 25, 2011
- 50 mn Indians to be screened for diabetes - Jul 19, 2011
- Lifestyle changes can prevent type-2 diabetes - Jun 17, 2012
- 2012 Australian Open to be richest Grand Slam - Oct 04, 2011
- American Heart Association: Heart disease costs to triple - Jan 25, 2011
- ICMR to develop affordable diabetes test strip: Azad - Nov 08, 2011
- Need to tackle monumental challenge of non-communicable diseases: Azad - Nov 17, 2011
- Tourism promotes understanding, world peace: Gilani - Sep 28, 2011
- Gurgaon doctor offers free cancer treatment (Lead) - Nov 13, 2010
- Gilani seeks support to stabilize Pakistan economy - Jul 21, 2011
- Gilani's son named in drug scam - Apr 19, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,