Di wanted private marriage to Hasnat KhanJanuary 15th, 2008 - 1:12 pm ICT by admin
London, Jan 15 (ANI): Princess Diana was secretly planning to marry her “soul mate”, heart surgeon Hasnat Khan, the year before she died, the inquest into her death has heard.
Paul Burrell, Dianas former butler, revealed that the princess had asked him to explore the likelihood of a “private marriage” for the couple in the autumn of 1996.
Burrell told the London court that he also approached his local Catholic priest to ask about arranging a wedding between a Christian and a Muslim, without Khan’s knowledge.
The royal aide’s account differs sharply from that of Mohamed Al Fayed, who has always maintained his son Dodi was going to marry Diana.
However, despite Diana and Khan breaking up, Burrell believed she still “held a candle” for the surgeon, and suggested she was making him jealous with her new relationship with Dodi.
“The princess said this was her soul mate. This is the man she loved more than any other,” the Telegraph quoted Burrell, as saying.
“She did ask me if it would be possible to arrange a private marriage between her and Hasnat Khan.
“So I approached my parish priest, Father Anthony Parsons. The Princess had attended mass at the Carmelite Church in Kensington and prayed there with me. Father Parsons knew exactly who I was talking about but he didn’t know the man’s name.
“She was adamant Princes William and Harry would get to know Dr Khan and would like him before a marriage took place. Plans were being laid for Dr Khan to have his own rooms in Kensington Palace so he would have some privacy, he added.
Burrell also revealed that Diana’s mother Frances Shand Kydd strongly disapproved of the relationship and branded her a disgraceful whore for messing around with Muslim men.
She called the Princess a whore and said she was messing around with effing Muslim men and she was disgraceful, and said some very nasty things, he said. (ANI)
- Dis ex-butler Paul Burrell dismisses royal plot theory - Jan 15, 2008
- Dis former butler, Paul Burrell refuses to disclose her last secret - Jan 15, 2008
- Di dubbed disgraceful whore by mum - Jan 15, 2008
- Princess Di's doc lover set to marry colleague - Nov 23, 2009
- Naomi Watts to play Princess Diana - Feb 10, 2012
- Jessica Chastain to play Princess Diana - Nov 08, 2011
- Priest confirms Burrell asked about Di marrying Muslim - Jan 23, 2008
- Both Charlize Theron, Keira Knightley set to play Princess Diana - Oct 20, 2010
- Kate will wear ghost of Diana on hand: Ex-butler - Apr 26, 2011
- Watts shifts to London for Diana role - Jun 17, 2012
- Royals thought Di and oily bedhopper Dodi were alliance made in Hell - Jan 17, 2008
- Princess Diana's former butler 'wants to patch up with William' - Nov 22, 2010
- Diana's school notes found in rubbish pile - Nov 01, 2010
- Diana's gowns to be displayed at British palace - Mar 10, 2012
- Princess Di has concluded her death was a 'well-planned accident': Psychic - Aug 31, 2010
Tags: anthony parsons, arranging a wedding, carmelite church, catholic priest, dr khan, frances shand, hasnat khan london, heart surgeon hasnat khan, inquest, kensington palace, london court, london jan, mohamed al fayed, mother frances, muslim men, nasty things, parish priest, princes william and harry, princess diana, soul mate