Di and Dodi were not lovers: DriverNovember 27th, 2007 - 2:16 pm ICT by admin
London, Nov 27 (ANI): The relationship between Princess Diana and Dodi Al Fayed did not extend beyond “friendship, the inquest into their deaths has heard.
Dianas driver Colin Tebbutt downplayed suggestions that the princess was preparing to announce her engagement to Mohamed Al Fayed’s son, by telling the jury that the two were just friends.
Tebbutt told the hearing that Diana was only “enjoying his company” and their relationship did not extend beyond “friendship”.
“I think she was enjoying his company. She never mentioned to me in respect of a forthcoming engagement to Dodi Fayed or a major change in her life, the Daily Mail quoted him, as saying.
“In my opinion she was enjoying a friendship, a holiday, and using the Al Fayed organisation’s helicopter and aeroplane. These facilities made getting in and out of the country a lot easier than Heathrow where press intrusion was virtually guaranteed, he added.
Tebbutt also contradicted claims by Dodis father Mohamed Al Fayed, that MI6 ordered Dianas body to be embalmed to hide a pregnancy.
He told the jury that the princess was embalmed because he wanted her to look “like the beautiful woman she was” when her family came to pay their last respects.
Tebbutt, who flew to Paris with butler Paul Burrell a few hours after her death, said he urged French funeral directors to “do whatever you do” to make the princess presentable for the arrival of Prince Charles and other family members.
It was his concerns over the state of Diana’s body, which led to embalming experts being pulled in.
“It is a very emotional time, to walk in and see your boss lying like she was. She looked old, her mouth was down, not a lot of damage to her face, but she had that ‘I do not want to be here’ look, he said.
“To me it was… about wanting to see her looking like the beautiful woman she was. That was all I was concerned about, nothing else, he added.
Earlier, Dr Robert Chapman, a pathologist who carried out the post-mortem on the princess on the night she died, told the jury that Dianas womb and ovaries did not show any signs of pregnancy.
However, he did say that the signs would not necessarily be very visible in the few weeks following conception.
Diana, Dodi and their driver Henri Paul were killed when their car hit a pillar Paris’ Pont d’Alma underpass in the early hours of August 311997. (ANI)
- `Princess Diana died as attempt to scare her went wrong' - Mar 12, 2010
- 'Princess Diana was murdered' - Jul 22, 2010
- 'Diana died after plan to frighten her into leaving lover went horribly wrong' - Mar 12, 2010
- Princess Di's driver's blood test 'wasn't verified' - Aug 09, 2010
- Tony Blair 'worried for Princess Di' when she started dating Dodi Fayed - Sep 03, 2010
- Mohamed al-Fayed claims he torched Harrods' royal warrants - Aug 23, 2010
- New book tells story if Diana had not died in car crash - Jan 06, 2011
- '500 pieces of crucial evidence withheld in Princess Diana inquest' - Aug 07, 2010
- Chauffeur behind Princess Di's death was 'framed as a drunk driver' - May 20, 2010
- Princess Diana, Dodi Fayed memorials to be removed from Harrods? - Aug 15, 2010
- Di's death was not an accident, says leading lawyer - Sep 02, 2009
- Letter on Di's fears of being killed withheld by senior police officers - Sep 26, 2009
- 'Innocent' Princess Di's driver 'set up' by French authorities, claims book - Mar 15, 2010
- Lady Gaga has an acute fear of dying - Dec 12, 2011
- 'Di was murdered because she planned to expose UK's role in arms trade' - Jun 01, 2010
Tags: beautiful woman, dodi al fayed, dodi fayed, embalmed, embalming, emotional time, friendship, inquest, mail, mi6, mohamed al fayed, paul burrell, prince charles, princess diana, relationship, robert chapman, their last respects