Dhumal pleads for Himachal sailor’s release by Somali piratesAugust 30th, 2012 - 7:29 pm ICT by IANS
Shimla, Aug 30 (IANS) Himachal Pradesh Chief Minister Prem Kumar Dhumal Thursday pleaded with the central government to secure freedom for sailor Aman Kumar, who is held captive by Somali pirates for the past 20 months.
Replying to a calling attention motion in the assembly Thursday, Dhumal said he took up the matter with union Minister of Shipping G.K. Vasan Aug 16.
“Even the chief secretary took up the issue with the secretary of the shipping ministry, Pradeep K. Sinha, Aug 23. We hope that the government of India will take necessary steps to get him released,” the chief minister said, while replying to the motion of Congress member G.S. Bali.
The Somali pirates hijacked Malaysian-flagged cargo ship MV Albedo Nov 26, 2010, near the Maldives in the Indian Ocean with all its 23 crew members, comprising seven Sri Lankans, five Bangladeshis, two Indians and seven Pakistanis. One Indian from Kolkata has already died.
Bali said as per his information, the pirates have demanded a huge sum of money for Arun Kumar’s release.
“Many of the captured persons have been released. His poor parents have not only approached the chief minister but also have been writing to the president, the prime minister and several ministers concerned, but to no avail,” he said.
- Captive sailor's family pleads with government - Aug 09, 2012
- Trying to get 29 Indians freed from pirates: Minister - Jun 25, 2011
- Indian Navy warship deployed near Somali coast to free sailors - Apr 19, 2011
- Government talking to ship owners for release of Indian sailors: Krishna - Mar 04, 2011
- Hijacked sailor's wife prays 'every hour' for his release - Feb 23, 2011
- Freed Indian sailors reach Delhi, thank Pakistan (Lead) - Jun 24, 2011
- Indian-Pakistani efforts to free another pirate-held ship - Apr 17, 2011
- Indian government did not contact us: Sailor's family - Jun 24, 2011
- Fishermen's killers must be punished: Vasan - Feb 20, 2012
- 53 Indian sailors in pirate-custody, back-channel talks on (Lead) - Mar 10, 2011
- Freed Indian sailors reach Delhi, thank Pakistan (Second Lead) - Jun 24, 2011
- India rejects Somali pirates swap offer - Apr 18, 2011
- Opposition attacks government over sailors hostage crisis - Mar 09, 2011
- Killing of Indian fishermen unfortunate: Vasan - Feb 18, 2012
- India rules out military intervention in sailors hostage crisis - Apr 19, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,