Dhaka’s cultural world remembers Habib TanvirJune 25th, 2009 - 12:22 pm ICT by IANS
Dhaka, June 25 (IANS) Habib Tanvir will continue to live in the world he created through stage, eminent cultural personalities of Bangladesh said of the Indian theatre pioneer who died earlier this month.
They noted with deep appreciation Tanvir’s bringing to the cities indigenous theatre forms, using motifs and ideas from the rural areas.
Syed Shamsul Haq, Ataur Rahman, Aly Zaker, Sayeed Ahmed and Ramendu Majumdar, among others, recalled the “inspiring presence” of Tanvir who had visited Dhaka to interact with them, The Daily Star newspaper said.
Haq said: “When talking about Tanvir, we tend to focus on his unique theatrical style. But to me, the application of his theatrical approach is just a means to reach where he wanted to take us actually — towards several basic philosophical questions regarding humanity.”
“Tanvir will continue to live in the world he created on stage, a world with so many diverse characters,” Mamunur Rashid noted.
“As a director, Tanvir believed in nurturing the spontaneity of an actor, rather than teaching him/her ‘acting’. This is what made his productions so endearing,” commented Ramendu Majumdar.
For his contribution to theatre, Habib Tanvir had received several prestigious awards and titles.
- Artists should look for art in rural India: Nageen Tanvir (With Image) - Sep 01, 2012
- India-Bangladesh project to dramatise Tagore's prose, poems - Apr 08, 2011
- Theatre re-invented to celebrate Gulzar's legacy (With Images) - Jun 20, 2012
- Habib Tanvir's contribution to Indian theatre now in a book - Sep 01, 2012
- Delhi gears up for mega winter theatre festival (With Image) - Jan 04, 2011
- Indian theatre music takes in more from the world - Jan 08, 2010
- Pilot killed as Bangladesh Air Force trainer crashes (Lead) - Apr 09, 2012
- PM condoles demise of noted playwright Habib Tanvir - Jun 08, 2009
- Agra erupts with secular festivities on Basant Panchami - Feb 08, 2011
- 'Peepli [Live]' brings rock, folk, satire together (IANS Music Review) - Jul 18, 2010
- National School of Drama's annual theatre festival begins - Jan 08, 2011
- The art of politics: Street dramas add colour to polls - May 01, 2011
- Festival brings Iran, Afghan puppet traditions to India (With Images) - Feb 02, 2012
- Habib Tanvir was a man of quiet determination (Obituary) - Jun 08, 2009
- I feel I'm in a dream world: Natha of 'Peepli Live' - Aug 11, 2010
Tags: ahmed, aly, bangladesh, daily star, dhaka, habib, haq, indian theatre, majumdar, motifs, personalities, philosophical questions, pioneer, presence, prestigious awards, rashid, rural areas, spontaneity, tanvir, theatrical style