Dhaka to probe banks that brought in Dawood Ibrahim moneyJune 9th, 2009 - 12:46 pm ICT by IANS
Dhaka, June 9 (IANS) Bangladesh police have said they will probe branches of a domestic bank and the multinational Western Union that received money sent from Pakistan by international mafia don Dawood Ibrahim to pay his network of agents here.
The network, police say, extends to India, Pakistan, Iran, Dubai and the United Arab Emirates.
Details of money transactions have come in after the arrest last month of Abdur Rauf Daud Merchant, a fugitive from Indian law convicted for killing Bollywood music baron Gulshan Kumar in 1997, the Daily Star newspaper reported Tuesday.
The questioning of Merchant, who had been in hiding here, and three other accomplices has revealed a network of at least 150 agents, including 20 women.
Merchant and his accomplices used to collect money sent by Ibrahim on a monthly basis.
Inspector Mohammad Ashraf Hossain, the investigation officer of the case, said Fahim Machmach alias FM had recently sent 150,000 taka ($2,500) to the National Bank’s Mohammadpur branch in the national capital.
Assistant Commissioner of Police (Detetctive Branch) Mohammad Mohibul Islam Khan told The Daily Star that they would officially send letters to National Bank and Western Union, seeking names of people who received the money.
The official said Ibrahim and his second-in-command Chhota Shakil had been “trying to establish their stronghold in Bangladesh after their crime empires in India, Pakistan, Dubai and Iran”.
Khan said police are investigating whether the employees of Western Union and National Bank had any links with the gang.
However, the newspaper quoted bank sources as saying that the employees disbursed the money after identifying the men concerned by examining their national identity cards.
- 'Dawood Ibrahim network in Bangladesh since 1995' - Jun 03, 2009
- Politicians, businessmen supporting Dawood Ibrahim: Bangladesh police (Lead) - Jun 08, 2009
- Bangladesh politicians, businessmen supporting Dawood Ibrahim - Jun 08, 2009
- 'Dawood Ibrahim has agents in Bangladesh' - Jun 01, 2009
- Indian gangsters expanding Dawood Ibrahim network in Bangladesh - Jun 06, 2009
- Indian with Lashkar links arrested in Dhaka - Oct 02, 2009
- Alleged Indian underworld member arrested in Bangladesh - Jun 07, 2009
- Western Union plans unique money transfer with SBI - Aug 25, 2010
- Bank employees to go on strike Aug 22-23 - Aug 21, 2012
- One more ISI agent held along Tripura border - Oct 30, 2010
- Iran paying Taliban 1,000 dollar bounty for each US soldier's head in Afghanistan - Sep 06, 2010
- For namesake's visa, Bhajji gets a googly - Feb 21, 2012
- Fake Indian currency recovered, three held - Mar 18, 2012
- Yes Bank to focus on retail segment for growth - Apr 21, 2012
- Banking services hit for second day in India (Lead) - Aug 23, 2012
Tags: accomplices, alias, ashraf, assistant commissioner, commissioner of police, daily star, don dawood ibrahim, fugitive, gulshan kumar, india pakistan, mafia don, mohammad, money transactions, music baron, national bank, national identity cards, shakil, stronghold, united arab emirates, western union