Dhaka to Delhi: crack down on drug factories near borderSeptember 27th, 2010 - 1:04 pm ICT by IANS
Dhaka, Sep 27 (IANS) Bangladesh has urged India to crack down on factories that make the banned Phensedyl syrup near the border. Two million bottles of Phensedyl were seized last year.
Popular with drug addicts, the banned syrup is being smuggled by organised drug peddlers and individuals visiting India. Its consumption and smuggling have increased in the recent months, New Age newspaper said Monday.
The syrup, the ingredients of which include codeine phosphate and ephedrine, has been smuggled into Bangladesh, according to the narcotics control department.
In March, Bangladesh Rifles handed over to its Indian counterparts a list of 32 Phensedyl factories on the Indian side of the border and sought action against them. But BDR sources claim that steps were yet to be taken to address the issue.
Senior border guard officials of both sides, who met here Sunday, expressed concern over continued smuggling of different types of drugs, including heroin and Phensedyl, said a Bangladeshi official who attended the meeting.
Bangladesh Rifles Deputy Director General, Brigadier General Obaidul Haque, told New Age: “We have provided the Indian side with a list of the Phensedyl factories on the other side of the border marking their locations, so that the Indian authorities can take action in order to save their youth as well as ours from the curse of drug abuse …but powerful cartels control the drug smuggling.”
Bangladesh authorities believe the actual quantity of Phensedyl smuggled into the country during the period was five times the quantity seized.
- Bangladesh urged to dismantle insurgent groups' camps: BSF chief - Sep 28, 2010
- Children used for smuggling across India-Bangladesh border - Apr 22, 2011
- Contraband cough syrup seized from Delhi plane - Feb 24, 2010
- Bangladesh Army officer caught with banned drug - Sep 07, 2010
- Bangladesh assures firm action against Indian insurgents - Dec 13, 2011
- Dismantle militant camps, BSF to urge Bangladesh counterparts - Dec 08, 2011
- India, Bangladesh to exercise calm on border - Jun 24, 2010
- Drugs in bath-towel shipment from India seized - Jan 28, 2011
- Hand over Indian separatists, BSF tells Bangladesh - Nov 08, 2009
- International drug cartel busted, 8 foreigners, 1 Indian held - Aug 25, 2010
- Customs seize marijuana in Meghalaya - Aug 02, 2010
- 'Smuggling, trafficking key issues on India-Bangladesh border' - Sep 16, 2010
- India among top drugs hotspots: UN report (Lead) - Mar 02, 2011
- US busts major drug ring run by three Indians - Aug 05, 2011
- Strengten border security: Mizoram, Tripura governors - Oct 31, 2011
Tags: bangladesh rifles, border guard, brigadier general, cartels, codeine, deputy director general, different types of drugs, drug addicts, drug peddlers, ephedrine, factories, guard officials, heroin, indian authorities, indian counterparts, narcotics control, phensedyl, phosphate, types of drugs, visiting india