Dhaka says it with films on Satyajit Ray’s death anniversaryApril 23rd, 2010 - 10:11 am ICT by IANS
Subject:satyajit Ray dhaka
Dhaka, April 23 (IANS) A retrospective of films Friday marked the week-long observation of the 18th death anniversary of eminent filmmaker Satyajit Ray, regarded as one of the towering figures of 20th century cinema.
Ray, who won 31 Indian National Awards, numerous awards at international film festivals and an Oscar for lifetime achievement in the world of cinema in 1992, hailed from East Bengal.
The Indian high commission here began the event with a six-film “Satyajit Retrospective” at the Indira Gandhi Cultural Centre in downtown Gulshan.
‘Satyajit Ray Introspections’ by Indian documentary maker K Bikram Singh and Ray’s own ‘Kanchanjungha’ are on the schedule, while the documentary ‘Pa’ and Ray’s ‘Apur Sansar’, ‘Aranyer Dinratri’ and ‘Seemabaddha’ will be screened over the week.
Born on May 2, 1921 in Kolkata, into a renowned Bengali family that nurtures arts and literature, Ray started his career as a commercial artist.
Ray was drawn into independent filmmaking after he met a French filmmaker Jean Renoir and viewed the Italian neorealist film ‘The Bicycle Thief’ during a visit to London.
Ray directed thirty-seven films, which include documentary, feature and short films. He was also a fiction writer, publisher, illustrator, graphic designer and a film critic.
- Satyajit Ray retrospective opens in Dhaka - Apr 23, 2010
- Satyajit Ray retrospective in Dhaka - May 13, 2011
- Would love to continue for audiences's sake: Soumitra Chatterjee - May 18, 2012
- Even today Ray remains alive in me: Soumitra Chatterjee (April 23 in Satyajit Ray's 20th death anniversary) - Apr 23, 2012
- Soumitra Chatterjee named for Dada Saheb Phalke award (Lead) - Mar 21, 2012
- Phalke award is recognition of my 53 years of hard work: Soumitra - Mar 21, 2012
- Satyajit Ray fest to mark 89th birth anniversary - May 01, 2010
- Congrats Soumitra da, says Big B (Movie Snippets) - Mar 22, 2012
- Sujoy Ghosh wants Vidya, Big B in next - Apr 04, 2012
- Italy's River to River fest turns 10 - with Satyajit Ray - Oct 21, 2010
- Thrilled Kathmandu now awaits Satyajit Ray - Feb 16, 2011
- '1971 war not aptly projected in Bangladesh' - Nov 12, 2011
- Why would I have gone to Mumbai? asks Soumitra Chatterjee (Interview) - May 12, 2012
- Aparna Sen's film to flag off Florence festival - Dec 01, 2010
- Movie maestro Mrinal Sen turns 90 - May 14, 2012
Tags: apur sansar, asian news, bicycle thief, bikram singh, century cinema, commercial artist, death anniversary, documentary feature, documentary maker, east bengal, french filmmaker, independent filmmaking, indian high commission, indira gandhi, international film festivals, jean renoir, lifetime achievement, satyajit ray, short films, towering figures