Dhaka engages consultant for 5.58 km bridge over PadmaJanuary 30th, 2009 - 12:14 pm ICT by IANS
Dhaka, Jan 30 (IANS) Bangladesh has engaged a New Zealand-based consultant to design an over-5-km-long bridge on the Padma river to improve connectivity with its south-western region to eventually link up with the Trans-Asia highway, a media report said Friday. The 5.58 km long and 25 m wide bridge on the Padma will connect the southwestern area with Dhaka at Mawa in Munshiganj and Janjira in Madaripur.
The government Thursday signed a design contract with Maunsell AECOM Ltd, The Daily Star said.
The first major contract signed by Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina’s government after taking office follows plans to revive another ambitious project to upgrade the Dhaka-Chittagong highway.
The first multipurpose bridge on the Jamuna was completed in 1997 during Hasina’s earlier tenure as prime minister.
The construction of the bridge with four lanes and a railroad in the middle is expected to start in 2011 and complete within 2014.
As per experts’ estimate Tk 10 billion (about $1.6 billion) will be spent to build the bridge.
Communications ministry officials said the government was negotiating with donors like the World Bank, ADB and Japan Bank for financial assistance to construct the bridge.
- Dhaka to undergo makeover with more highways and bridges - Dec 30, 2009
- Bangladesh gets $1.2bn World Bank loan for bridge - Apr 28, 2011
- Bangladesh promotes its rail network - May 05, 2011
- Bangladesh, China sign deal for bridge - Jan 04, 2012
- Bangladesh to fund Padma bridge project - Jul 09, 2012
- Plan to tap stock market for Bangladesh's longest bridge - Aug 31, 2008
- Big Japanese aid for Bangladesh bridge - Nov 30, 2010
- Bangladesh urges World Bank to release funds for bridge - Jul 26, 2012
- Dhaka's Padma Bridge gets hefty international funding - Dec 22, 2009
- World Bank cancels credit for Bangladesh bridge project - Jun 30, 2012
- Three East Asian economies reach out to Bangladesh - Jul 09, 2010
- Bangladesh invites pre-qualification bids for Padma bridge - Apr 21, 2010
- Malaysia to fund Bangladesh bridge project - Feb 05, 2012
- Dhaka approves $7 bn for development projects - May 20, 2012
- $315 mn ADB loan for Karnataka road projects - Jul 20, 2011
Tags: adb, ambitious project, asia highway, bridge communications, communications ministry, daily star, design contract, donors, financial assistance, jamuna, janjira, japan bank, long bridge, maunsell aecom, mawa, minister sheikh hasina, ministry officials, padma river, southwestern area, trans asia