Dhaka, Delhi to renew transit, trade deal in MarchMarch 5th, 2009 - 1:20 pm ICT by IANS
Dhaka, March 5 (IANS) Bangladeshi and Indian officials will meet here later this month to renew their inland water transit and trade deal. The current deal expires March 31.
The Protocol on Inland Water Transit and Trade, aimed at boosting the inland water trade between the two South Asian neighbours, was renewed at a meeting in New Delhi May 1, 2007, New Age newspaper said quoting foreign ministry sources.
Bangladesh proposed inclusion of Ashuganj as a new port of call, especially for easy transport of Indian goods from Kolkata to Agartala through Bangladesh. This proposal was made during the Dhaka tour of India’s Minister for External Affairs Pranab Mukherjee last month.
A Bangladeshi official said before finalising the date of renewing the protocol, the technical committee at a meeting will assess all the aspects of the deal by March 10.
The inland water transit protocol was first signed in 1980 under the bilateral trade agreement of 1980 that facilitated mutually beneficial arrangements for the use of the waterways for commerce, maintaining the river routes within each territories a navigable condition.
Later, the protocol was first renewed in 1999, then in 2001 and the last time in 2007.
- Bangladesh, India to renew river transit protocol - Mar 23, 2009
- New Delhi asks Dhaka to allow river transit to Tripura - Mar 24, 2009
- Bangladesh keen to increase trade with northeast India - Jan 12, 2010
- Dhaka, New Delhi renew river trade, transit protocol - Mar 25, 2009
- India looks at opening new waterways with Bangladesh - Nov 29, 2011
- PM pushes use of 'green' inland waterways - Jan 28, 2012
- Dhaka, Delhi set to renew water transit pact - Feb 15, 2009
- India, Bangladesh to sign extradition treaty soon: Envoy (Lead) - Jun 06, 2012
- India to improve rail-road links to Bangladesh: Officials - Dec 06, 2010
- Northeast chief ministers to visit Dhaka seeking transit facility - Feb 25, 2009
- India to carry northeast essentials via Bangladesh - Feb 11, 2012
- New land port opens in Bangladesh - Aug 13, 2010
- Bangladesh, India to start work on Feni bridge - May 05, 2012
- Bangladesh to implement 14 projects with Indian loan (Lead) - Jul 21, 2010
- A Bangladeshi invite for Mamata: Will she go? - Feb 20, 2012
Tags: asian neighbours, bilateral trade agreement, dhaka, external affairs, foreign ministry, indian goods, indian officials, kolkata, last time, may 1 2007, ministry sources, new age, New Delhi, port of call, pranab mukherjee, technical committee, transit trade, water trade, water transit, waterways