Dhaka, Delhi resume talks on river water sharingJanuary 10th, 2011 - 7:48 pm ICT by IANS
Dhaka, Jan 10 (IANS) Bangladesh Monday resumed talks with India on sharing of common river-waters.At the secretary-level talks of the Indo-Bangla Joint River Commission (JRC), Sheikh Mohammed Wahiduzzaman, secretary of the Bangladesh water resources ministry, led the 11-member Bangladesh delegation while the six-member Indian team was led by water resources ministry secretary D.V. Singh, the Daily Star reported.
Bangladesh is expecting to reach a consensus in the talks on a 15-year interim treaty on sharing of waters of the northeastern Teesta river.
The two delegations are also likely to discuss a short-term treaty for sharing the waters of the southern Feni river, another river on the border.
The last secretary-level talks were held in Dhaka in March 2010 when both sides reached a consensus about dredging the Ichhamati river and protecting the banks of common rivers.
Bangladesh and India share some 400 rivers, including 50 major river systems, including the Brahmaputra that flows from China.
A Ganga Water Treaty was signed in 1997 during the earlier tenure of Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina whose visit to New Delhi in January 2010 stepped up the pace of all-round cooperation.
- Dhaka, Delhi agree on water deal (Lead) - Jan 10, 2011
- Bangladesh accord pushes 14 irrigation schemes in Tripura - Jan 12, 2011
- Dhaka, Delhi to exchange Teesta river data - Sep 30, 2011
- India to dredge river in Bangladesh - Jan 06, 2010
- Bangladesh objections hold up Tripura projects: Minister - Aug 04, 2012
- Teesta water deal an optimistic beginning: Bangladeshi daily - Jan 12, 2011
- India clears rail projects for Bangladesh, discusses water accord - Jun 08, 2011
- Khurshid to visit Bangladesh for water talks - Jun 14, 2011
- Tripura hopes for solution to river disputes with Bangladesh - Sep 04, 2011
- Bangladesh, a country that shares 54 rivers with India - Sep 06, 2011
- Dhaka, Delhi hold talks over sharing Teesta water - Jan 04, 2010
- India-Bangladesh water sharing agreement on Teesta soon - Mar 20, 2010
- A Bangladeshi invite for Mamata: Will she go? - Feb 20, 2012
- Not able to conclude Teesta agreement: Mathai - Sep 07, 2011
- Dhaka wants interim accord with Delhi on Teesta waters - Mar 14, 2010
Tags: bangla, brahmaputra, consensus, daily star, delegation, delegations, dhaka, feni river, india share, indo, jrc, minister sheikh hasina, ministry secretary, New Delhi, resources ministry, river water, river waters, sheikh mohammed, water resources, water treaty