Dewani murder: Prosecution chief terms husband ‘murderer’February 20th, 2011 - 9:10 pm ICT by IANS
London, Feb 20 (IANS) The family of an Indian-origin Briton, accused of arranging his bride’s murder during their honeymoon in Cape Town, said they were “deeply shocked” after South Africa’s prosecution chief termed him a “fugitive” and a “murderer” in an emotional outburst.Shrien Dewani was described by Menzi Simelane, director of South Africa’s National Prosecuting Authority, as “someone who murdered his wife while he should be celebrating their honeymoon”, the Daily Mail reported.
Simelane said the 31-year-old Dewani, who vehemently denies any involvement in his wife Anni’s murder, had “committed what is a very heinous crime”.
“Mr. Dewani is a fugitive because he ran out of a country (where) there was a warrant of arrest for him,” he said.
Max Clifford, spokesman for Dewani’s family, said: “What chance does Shrien have of justice in South Africa when first the chief of police describes him as a monkey and now the law chief goes on TV to say he committed a heinous crime?”
Dewani’s friends said it was inaccurate to call him a fugitive because he left South Africa with the consent of the police.
Shrien Dewani and his wife Anni, 28, were on their honeymoon in Cape Town when she was murdered last November.
After Anni was killed when the couple’s taxi was hijacked near Cape Town, a senior police commissioner labelled her husband a “monkey”.
- SA Prosecutor calls Brit-Indian honeymooner 'guilty fugitive' over wife's murder - Feb 20, 2011
- SA prosecutor accused of 'sabotaging' Brit-Indian honeymooners case with 'fugitive' comments - Feb 21, 2011
- S. African police chief knows why Brit-Indian honeymooner planned to kill his wife - Jan 19, 2011
- South African cops say motive behind Indian-origin bride's murder found - Jan 19, 2011
- Anni Dewani case: Opposing psychiatrists are partners - Sep 02, 2012
- Man arrested for Indian-origin wife's murder - Dec 08, 2010
- German man says he had sex with honeymoon murder accused - Dec 15, 2010
- Honeymoon murder: Shrien Dewani to be extradited to South Africa - Aug 10, 2011
- Brit-Indian carjack hubby 'paid off murder cabbie on CCTV' - Dec 09, 2010
- Dewani murder case: Accused husband attempts suicide - Feb 22, 2011
- Anni Dewani's South African killer gets 25 years jail - Aug 08, 2012
- Dewani honeymoon murder: Husband denies role in 2007 killing - Dec 13, 2010
- Brit-Indian honeymooner Dewani 'cleared' of role in 2nd person's murder in 2007 - Dec 31, 2010
- Indian-origin bride's murder during honeymoon in Cape Town was unintentional: Hitman - Feb 08, 2011
- Proceedings to continue against "stressed" Brit-Indian honeymooner over wife's murder case - Jan 22, 2011
Tags: briton, cape town, chief of police, daily mail, emotional outburst, fugitive, heinous crime, honeymoon, indian origin, justice in south africa, last november, london feb, max clifford, monkey, murderer, outburst, police commissioner, prosecution, spokesman, warrant of arrest