‘Desperate for money, Marlon Brando tried selling goods on TV’December 22nd, 2008 - 6:53 pm ICT by IANS
London, Dec 22 (IANS) Hollywood legend Marlon Brando tried to get a job as a daytime TV presenter shortly before his death in a bid to boost his bank balance, says his former assistant.According to Alice Marchak, Brando contemplated selling goods on the US home shopping channel QVC in 2000 because he had only $9,000 (6,000 pounds) left to his name by that time.
“The Godfather” star was so desperate to work for QVC that he allegedly held discussions with a network executive just a year before his death in 2004, reports contactmusic.com.
“He (Brando) was serious about QVC. He had a meeting with a woman from the channel,” wrote Marchak in her self-published book “Me and Marlon”.
Marchak also revealed that the actor suffered from eating disorder bulimia and battled drug and sex addictions.
The Oscar winner died of respiratory failure at the age of 80.
- Marlon Brando was refused TV presenters job shortly before his death - Dec 23, 2008
- Marlon Brando suffered from bulimia, claims book - Dec 05, 2008
- Marlon Brando's family still in dispute over his ashes - Aug 10, 2010
- Johnny Depp: Whats His Dream Role? - Dec 01, 2010
- Gangster who inspired The Godfather was a 'fake' - Jan 06, 2011
- Al Pacino says he was almost fired from 'The Godfather' - Dec 08, 2010
- Even after so many years 'Godfather' remains fresh: Big B - Sep 02, 2011
- 'Godfather' house on sale for $3 mn - Dec 05, 2010
- Beware - eating disorders might hasten death - Jul 14, 2011
- Professor Green creates a stir with his bulimia tweet - Jul 30, 2012
- Crowe to play Superman's dad in 'Man of Steel'? - Jun 17, 2011
- Crowe to play Superman's dad? - Jun 16, 2011
- Coppola insists Brando's bad reputation was a misunderstanding - Jun 09, 2009
- 'Last Tango in Paris' actress Maria Schneider dies aged 58 - Feb 04, 2011
- Tyson's love for pigeons mirrors Brando's 'Waterfront' boxer character - Jan 24, 2011