Deora suggests a joint venture between OVL and SonongalJuly 4th, 2008 - 11:46 pm ICT by ANI
Madrid , July 4 (ANI): Minister of Petroleum and Natural Gas Murli Deora on Friday suggested a joint venture between ONGC Videsh Limited (OVL) and Sonongal at a meeting between him and Desiderio da Graca Verissimo e Costa, Minister of Petroleum of Angola on the sidelines of 19th World Petroleum Congress in Madrid , Spain .
OVL, a flagship subsidiary of Oil and Natural Gas Corporation (ONGC) has been short listed to qualify as an operator for the deepwater blocks by the Angolan Authorities.
Deora proposed that OVL for overseas ventures and Angola’s national oil company Sonongal should form a joint venture to participate in the next round of offer on exploration blocks in Angola .
Echoing Deora’s sentiments, Desiderio Costa, said that Angola is open to consider such proposal.
Deora would write to his counterpart while MD OVL would send a formal proposal to the CEO of Sonongal for taking forward the matter.
OVL is the only company from India to cross mark of prequalification of E&P companies which will entitle it to bid for deepwater exploration blocks in Angola as an operator.
Costa informed that Angola is planning to offer more than ten offshore exploration blocks including deepwater blocks for bidding by E&P companies. The bids are likely to be invited after elections later this year.
In addition to the cooperation in the oil and gas sector, Deora, offered Indian assistance to Angola in training and skill development of Angolan personnel. He also extended an invitation to Energy Minister of Angola to visit India .
Indian Petroleum Minister also had bilateral meeting with his counterpart from the Netherlands Maria van der Hoeven, Minister of Energy and Economic Affairs.
Both the Ministers agreed that India and the Netherlands should forge closer relation for cooperation in the hydrocarbon sector including in Carbon Capture and Sequestration (CCS) and build upon the long standing friendly relations between two countries.
Deora was accompanied during the talks by the Indian Ambassador to Spain Sujata Mehta, ONGC CMD R. S Sharma and MD OVL R S Butola. (ANI)
- India, Angola agree for cooperation in hydrocarbon sector - Jan 27, 2010
- India seeks higher crude oil supplies from Angola - Oct 31, 2010
- India, Angola to speed up petroleum sector cooperation - Oct 31, 2010
- India, Angola to sign deal on hydrocarbon sector - Jan 27, 2010
- India, Angola sign deal for hydrocarbon sector - Nov 02, 2010
- India has not withdrawn from Vietnamese oil block: Minister - Aug 18, 2012
- ONGC Videsh seeks to look for oil in Angola - Jul 04, 2008
- India keen to invest in Sudan's oil projects - Oct 30, 2010
- Firms keen on JVs for oil, gas exploration in Africa: Reddy - Dec 09, 2011
- India to step up oil, gas imports from Africa - Dec 09, 2011
- ONGC-Videsh favours joint exploration with Russian firms - Mar 20, 2010
- ONGC Videsh inks deal with PetroVietnam - Oct 12, 2011
- India holds bilateral talks with Nigeria, Sri Lanka, Canada - Nov 03, 2010
- Cabinet sanctions OVL's investment in 2 Nigerian blocks - Jan 14, 2010
- India interested in Exxon Mobil's Angola block - Nov 01, 2010
Tags: angola, counterpart, desiderio, e costa, exploration blocks, formal proposal, graca, joint venture, july 4, madrid spain, national oil company, natural gas corporation, ongc, overseas ventures, ovl, prequalification, sentiments, sidelines, verissimo, world petroleum congress