Dengue scare in Kochi threatens tourismNovember 18th, 2008 - 7:23 pm ICT by IANS
Kochi, Nov 18 (IANS) A large number of people, including three doctors, are suspected to be affected by dengue fever in this commercial capital of Kerala, worried health officials said Tuesday.There has been an increasing number of patients arriving with fever in Kochi General Hospital, Radhakrishnan, superintendent of the hospital, told IANS.
“Three doctors of the hospital are suffering with dengue. A few other staff members are also down with fever and the test-report of that is yet to come,” said the superintendent.
Ernakulam district collector M. Beena, a doctor, said cases of dengue have been reported but there was nothing alarming and the disease has not taken the shape of an epidemic outbreak.
“The administration is fully geared and has already taken a strong anti-mosquito campaign,” said Beena.
Already crippled by the economic slowdown, the tourism industry here is worried and a dengue scare could well create another dent as the peak season is already on.
More importantly, 5,000 foreigners are expected to witness the Volvo Ocean Race stopover in Kochi from Dec 3 to 13.
The Kerala High Court early this month came down heavily on the Kochi Municipal Corporation for its failure to remove piled up garbage on the streets in the city.
- Now Karachi frets over dengue outbreak - Aug 22, 2011
- Viral fever grips Gurgaon - Sep 09, 2012
- 10 dengue cases in Assam - Sep 15, 2010
- MCD suppressing chikungunya figures, say doctors - Nov 02, 2010
- 5,000 suspected dengue cases reported in Pakistan - Sep 14, 2011
- Mamata slams doctors for fuelling dengue scare - Sep 04, 2012
- Dengue fever grips Pakistani province - Sep 04, 2011
- Dengue arrives in Delhi, before season - Jul 04, 2010
- As dengue stalks Delhi, hospitals struggle to cope (Feature) - Sep 14, 2010
- Viral fever hits Kerala's Alappuzha - May 01, 2011
- Mumbai doctor dies of dengue - Aug 23, 2010
- Five dengue cases reported in Nainital - Sep 22, 2009
- Dengue toll reaches 29 in Pakistan's Punjab province - Sep 16, 2011
- Delhi grapples with dengue, cases cross 2,500 mark - Sep 23, 2010
- Discovery enables quicker diagnosis of chikunguyna - Mar 15, 2012