Dengue cases on the rise in Malaysia, toll reaches 26April 5th, 2008 - 2:13 pm ICT by admin
Kuala Lumpur, April 5 (DPA) Malaysia continues to battle a steady rise in the number of dengue cases in the first three months of the year as the death toll from the mosquito-borne disease reached 26, a news report said Saturday. From January to March, a total of 9,889 people were diagnosed with dengue and 26 of them died, the ministry’s director of disease control Hasan Abdul Rahman was quoted as saying by the New Straits Times daily.
Last year, there were a total 13,949 cases with 34 deaths from January to March.
Hasan said although the number of cases this year was lower than last year, the number of dengue victims increased from month-to-month. He blamed the rise on weather conditions, which made it conducive for the virus-carrying Aedes mosquito to breed.
The central Selangor state recorded the most cases at 262, followed by the capital Kuala Lumpur and the southern state of Johor, he said.
Last week, health ministry officials issued 144 compound notices on houses and shops where the Aedes mosquitos were found breeding.
The Aedes mosquito breeds in clear and stagnant water, such as flower vases, uncovered barrels, buckets, and discarded tires.
The government has been holding campaigns to educate the public as well as conduct checks on residential and construction sites in efforts to stem the steady rise in dengue cases.
However, despite the efforts, the number of cases and deaths continue to rise each year.
Symptoms of dengue are high fever and rashes. If not detected and treated early, the disease can be fatal.
- Dengue arrives in Delhi, before season - Jul 04, 2010
- Over 1,200 now down with dengue in Bengal - Sep 10, 2012
- 10 dead, over 2,000 hit by dengue in Pakistan - Sep 09, 2011
- Eight more dengue cases in Delhi - Aug 09, 2010
- 20 new cases of Dengue in Delhi - Aug 18, 2010
- 54 more cases of dengue in Delhi - Aug 25, 2010
- 77 more dengue cases in Delhi - Sep 01, 2010
- Delay in checking dengue in Bengal, says governor - Sep 11, 2012
- Radio Pakistan to spread awareness about dengue - Sep 11, 2011
- 20 new cases of dengue in Delhi - Aug 13, 2010
- 43 new dengue cases in Delhi - Aug 24, 2010
- Over 1,000 now down with dengue in Bengal - Sep 08, 2012
- 69 new dengue cases in Delhi, total 434 - Aug 23, 2010
- 36 more dengue cases in Delhi - Aug 21, 2010
- Engineer to be prosecuted for judges getting dengue - Mar 21, 2011
Tags: buckets, capital kuala lumpur, construction sites, death toll, dengue cases, first three months, flower vases, health ministry officials, high fever, months of the year, mosquito, mosquito borne disease, mosquitos, new straits times, rashes, selangor state, stagnant water, state of johor, symptoms of dengue, weather conditions