Demoralised Oz nurses turning to prostitution for livelihoodDecember 22nd, 2008 - 6:38 pm ICT by ANI
Melbourne, Dec 22 (ANI): Demoralised Queensland nurses are increasingly turning to prostitution to earn money.
According to Courier Mail, these exhausted nurses would rather work as prostitutes than in Queensland’’s crumbling hospitals.
A former registered nurse of 10 years” experience revealed that she and four of her colleagues had found new jobs in brothels.
“We could no longer work in such an understaffed and stressful environment,” News.com.au quoted the nurse, who wanted to be known as Jenna, as saying.
“I was overworked, poorly paid and a mistake could have led to charges if I caused a death.
“I came to the conclusion the nursing shortage wasn”t my problem but it was my responsibility to protect myself from burning out or making a fatal mistake,” she added.
The survey undertaken last year revealed that most nurses loved nursing but hated their jobs.
“There’’s a tension there that nurses feel they can”t deliver the quality of nursing they want to,” she added.
It was also found that 45 per cent of nurses had experienced workplace violence, which is more prevalent in the public and aged-care sectors than in the private sector.
Jenna said that violence was more of a concern in hospitals than in the sex industry.
“The security (at the brothel) is wonderful. We have buzzers in our room, there are bracelets we can request if you have a client you”re a bit suspicious of,” she added.
Health Minister Stephen Robertson said that it was disappointing that some nurses were seeking alternative careers.
“Queensland nurses are now among the highest paid in Australia, having benefited from a 26 per cent wage increase since 2006,” he said.
“This is one of the factors which has helped us to recruit an extra 5834 nurses since June 2005,” he added. (ANI)
- Illegal prostitution booming in Queensland - Jan 30, 2011
- Oz mum 'sent 16-year-old daughter to work in brothel' - Jul 28, 2010
- Argentine province offers prostitutes airfare to go home - Jul 24, 2012
- It's official! Sydney is the sex capital of Australia - Nov 12, 2010
- Former female Kiwi MP's male brothel plan gets enthusiastic takers - Aug 07, 2010
- German city to tax prostitutes - Aug 31, 2011
- Queensland sex industry largely illegitimate despite legal brothels - Aug 17, 2009
- Father and son to be sentenced for trafficking - Jan 26, 2011
- Rooney's 'Auld Slapper' hooker denies having sex with him - Nov 13, 2010
- Illegal brothels sprouting across Australia - Nov 15, 2010
- Elders facing assaults in Australian old age homes - Feb 05, 2011
- Parents seek better deal for Kerala nurses (Lead) - Jan 04, 2012
- Parents of Kerala nurses seek better wages for children - Jan 04, 2012
- Minor girl rescued from Delhi brothel - Jan 18, 2010
- Meet Markus, the first legal male prostitute in US - Jan 23, 2010
Tags: aged care, brothel, brothels, courier mail, environment news, fatal mistake, health minister, jenna, livelihood, new jobs, news com au, nursing shortage, prostitutes, prostitution, queensland nurses, registered nurse, sex industry, stephen robertson, stressful environment, workplace violence