Democrats to forgo cost of living raiseFebruary 11th, 2009 - 6:30 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, Feb. 11 (ANI): Keeping in view the current economic crisis, Speaker Nancy Pelosi informed Democrats in a closed-door meeting that members will forgo their cost-of-living increases for the coming year.
House Majority Leader Steny H. Hoyer (D-Md.), who usually advocates for congressional pay raises, told reporters that it would not be appropriate for members of Congress to accept a salary increase this year.
The leaderships move comes after President Barack Obama decided to freeze the salaries of top White House aides, Politico reports.
Already, 107 House members have signed on to co-sponsor bills that would block the 2010 raise.
Party leaders discussed the possibility of skipping the annual salary increase earlier this year, but Tuesdays announcement marks their first official embrace of those requests.
House Minority Leader John A. Boehner supported the move.
We all know that American families are hurting, and we support forgoing a congressional pay raise. It is the reasonable thing to do, Boehner spokesman Michael Steel said.
Members of Congress will earn an annual salary of 174,000 dollars in 2009. House Speaker Pelosi will get 223,500 dollars this year, while Hoyer, Boehner, Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) and Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) will earn 193,400 dollars each.
Congress established an automatic pay raise in 1989 as part of the annual spending process.
Forgoing the automatic raise isnt the only step Pelosi is taking. She had also asked House committees chairmen to hold hearings on how federal funds are being spent one of Obamas priorities.
Well be looking at everything from entitlements to defense spending, student loans to every dollar that the federal government spends, she had said earlier. (ANI)
- Nearly 2,000 House staffers earned six figure salaries in 2009 - Mar 27, 2010
- John Boehner Gets Congratulatory Call From President Barack Obama - Nov 03, 2010
- Nancy Pelosi Brings The House Fight To An End - Nov 13, 2010
- US congressional debt panel composition set - Aug 12, 2011
- Tea Party And GOP Protesters Go Overboard To Stall The Healthcare Bill - Mar 22, 2010
- House Democrats re-elect Pelosi as their leader; Republicans elect Cantor - Nov 18, 2010
- Gay soldiers: US Congress votes to overturn military's 'don't ask, don't tell policy' - Dec 16, 2010
- Nancy Pelosi Elected To Lead The Minority - Nov 18, 2010
- Obama, congressional leaders announce deal to raise debt ceiling, cut spending - Aug 01, 2011
- Republicans cave in, hand Obama big victory - Dec 23, 2011
- Democrats push public health insurance option in new bill - Oct 30, 2009
- Democrats unveil US health reform bill - Mar 19, 2010
- US government shutdown averted with last minute deal - Apr 09, 2011
- GOP, Tea Party disassociate themselves from racial taunts - Mar 22, 2010
- Congress leaders scramble to sell debt deal (Second Lead) - Aug 01, 2011
Tags: american families, annual salary, barack obama, congressional pay, cost of living increases, defense spending, house committees, house speaker pelosi, john a boehner, members of congress, minority leader, mitch mcconnell, nancy pelosi, salary increase, senate majority leader, senate majority leader harry, senate majority leader harry reid, speaker nancy pelosi, steny h hoyer, white house aides