Demilitarise Siachen, says Nawaz SharifApril 18th, 2012 - 12:48 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, April 18 (IANS) Pakistan and India must immediately pull out their troops from Siachen, said Pakistan’s main opposition leader and former prime minister Nawaz Sharif.
Nawaz Sharif, who heads the Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz, urged Pakistan and India to immediately start negotiations to resolve the Siachen issue and pull their troops out of the region, reported the Dawn from Skardu, the main town in Gilgit-Baltistan.
Sharif visited Gilgit-Baltistan after an avalanche in Siachen smothered 139 Pakistani troops April 7.
The former prime minister said if the two countries were able to resolve the issue, they would save a lot of money now being spent on troops in the region. The money could then be used for development and people’s welfare.
He suggested that Pakistan should take the initiative in this regard and urge India to hold talks.
Siachen is the world’s highest battle ground.
- Pakistan favours demilitarization of Siachen: Kayani - Apr 19, 2012
- Tunnels dug to reach Pakistan avalanche victims - Apr 11, 2012
- "Day not far when Kashmir will be free": Sharif - Nov 06, 2009
- Resolve Siachen row, daily tells Pakistan, India - Apr 08, 2012
- Little to gain from Siachen, daily to Pakistan and India - Apr 19, 2012
- Pakistan is foreign aggressor in Kashmir dispute: Gilgit activist - Jan 28, 2010
- Pakistan-Tajikistan road to cost Rs.2 bn - Oct 19, 2011
- US offers help in Pakistan avalanche rescue - Apr 09, 2012
- 'Left out' Kashmiri leadership pans Pak govt. for Gilgit-Baltistan reforms - Sep 05, 2009
- Gilani, Sharif denounce MQM chief for "incomprehensible" martial rule remarks - Aug 24, 2010
- Kayani monitors Siachen rescue operations - Apr 08, 2012
- Indian defence secretary in Pakistan - Jun 11, 2012
- Siachen avalanche: Pakistan welcomes India's offer - Apr 09, 2012
- Must hold Siachen positions: Indian Army (Lead) - Sep 19, 2012
- HRCP slams MQM chief Altaf Hussain for demanding martial law in Pak - Aug 24, 2010
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,