Delhi serial blast case cracked: police (Roundup)

September 21st, 2008 - 12:23 am ICT by IANS  

New Delhi, Sep 20 (IANS) Exactly a week after five synchronized terror blasts rattled the national capital and killed 24 people, Delhi Police Saturday said they had cracked the conspiracy behind this and three other terror attacks in the country.“We have solved the Delhi blast case,” said Karnail Singh, joint commissioner of police (Special Cell).

Singh said a terrorist module of 13 people was responsible for the recent spate of terror attacks in India including the Uttar Pradesh court blasts of last year and the serial bombings in Jaipur, Ahmedabad and New Delhi this year.

He named the 13 members of the module as Atif, Saif, Zeeshan, Shajid, Junaid, Shadab Bhai, Alihas Malik, Shazid, Mohammad Khalif, Arif, Shakeel, Zia Khan and Salman.

All the members of the module were from Azamgarh village in Uttar Pradesh. “Atif lured his fellow and junior students from Azamgarh to terrorism,” the police official said.

Singh said the dreaded Pakistani terror outfit Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT) had been providing the training and support to the banned Students Islamic Movement of India (SIMI) and Indian Mujahideen, which has claimed responsibility for the Ahmedabad and New Delhi attacks.

“When LeT’s terrorists were arrested, ISI (Inter-Services Intelligence of Pakistan) had a problem internationally. So their strategy was to train more and more people of Indian origin. So they approached the SIMI and Indian Mujahideen and coordinated with them.

“SIMI provided the money and execution support to the Indian Mujahideen,” he added.

The police said they had seized a laptop from the Jamia Nagar house, where two terrorists were gunned down after a fierce gun battle Friday morning, and found that they were inspired by Al Qaeda mastermind Osama bin Laden.

“From whatever information we have got from the seized laptop, it’s clear that they were inspired by the philosophy of Al Qaeda. They were inspired by Osama bin Laden.

“We have sent the laptop for forensic analysis. Documents and photographs related to terror activities have been seized. We recovered the photos of Osama Bin Laden and software techie Tauqir’s photo from the laptop,” Singh added.

Mumbai-based Abdul Subhan Qureshi alias Tauqir has been alleged to have masterminded the Sep 13 serial blasts in the capital that killed 24 people and left nearly 100 injured. He has been absconding.

The police said the militants had brought the bombs from Karnataka before the start of the Islamic holy month of Ramadan.

“Mohammed Saif and Sajid went to Karnataka and bought 10 bombs to Delhi by train two or three days before the start of Ramadan. But one bomb was detected to be faulty at the last moment and, therefore, was not planted,” Sing said in a press briefing.

He, however, said that one live bomb was yet to be recovered.

“They have thrown the faulty bomb in a drain near Batla House (in Jamia Nagar). Then there is a live bomb somewhere near the Regal cinema hall (in Connaught Place) but we haven’t recovered them so far,” said a senior police official.

Delhi Police had defused one bomb near the same cinema hall Sep 13.

“It was Atif (one of the two terrorists who were killed Friday) who used to send e-mails to various people including media organisations (about the Indian Mujahideen taking responsibility for the blasts). He was the main co-coordinator of sharing information amongst various organisations,” Singh added.

The police said they used to roam around the country on fake voter identity cards.

“Saif and Zeeshan had made fake voter ID cards in the name of Rahul Sharma and Pankaj respectively and travelled to Gujarat on the fake identities.

“They also availed mobile phone connections on the basis of these fake ID cards. We have seized mobile phones in which they have clicked the video of the Jaipur blasts,” Singh said.

Explaining the modus operandi of the module Singh said: “All of them travelled to Jaipur May 13 in a bus and bought cycles and planted the bombs on them.”

Then they started preparing for the Ahmedabad blasts. “Eleven to 12 people from Delhi went to Ahmedabad July 10 for a recce. Three to four stayed back and others returned to Delhi on July 17.

“All those who returned went to Ahmedabad on July 23, manufactured and planted bombs with the help of the local supporters, few of whom were arrested in Ahmedabad,” Singh said.

At least 65 people were killed in the serial blasts in Jaipur May 13, while 56 people were killed in the July 26 Ahmedabad blasts.

“In Delhi these terrorists went for a recce Sep 11 and clicked photos of the sites,” Singh added.

Five bombs went off in quick succession in the capital’s busy market places Sep 13, killing 24 people and injuring nearly 100 others.

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

Posted in World |