Defiant Burris insists he will be Obamas replacement in US Senate from IllinoisJanuary 6th, 2009 - 1:05 pm ICT by ANI
Chicago, Jan.6 (ANI): Former Illinois Attorney General Ronald Burris has defiantly said that he is the legally appointed junior senator from the state.
Calling himself “the magic man,” Burris on Monday said he is going to Capitol Hill as Barack Obamas replacement.
Fox News quoted the former Illinois attorney general as saying that the appointment by Illinois Governor Rod Blagojevich was entirely legal and that Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, who has threatened to bar Burris from the Senate, does not know the law.
“This is all politics and theater, but I am the junior senator according to every law book in the nation,” Burris said before boarding his flight to Washington.
“This appointment is legal. What don”t you all understand that what has been done here is legal? That’’s legal,” he said.
Burris” appointment is under fire as Blagojevich faces a possible indictment and impeachment for allegedly trying to sell the seat vacated by President-elect Barack Obama, among other issues.
Senate Democratic leaders said Burris is welcome to come to Capitol Hill on Tuesday, but he will not be permitted in the Senate chamber.
Illinois Senator Dick Durbin said Burris lacks the necessary documentation to enter the chamber, since Illinois Secretary of State Jesse White has so far refused to sign his certificate of appointment.
Durbin said Burris is welcome to watch the swearing-in ceremony from an office just off the Senate floor.
Durbin reiterated that Democrats have no qualms with Burris. But he said, “Questions can legitimately be raised about the appointment by this governor.”
Burris is scheduled to meet Wednesday with Reid and Durbin, the No. 2 Democrat in the Senate.
One senior Democratic leadership aide told FOX News the conversation will be about calming the situation and trying to get Burris to see that a fight will get him nowhere.
Meanwhile, an Illinois House panel convened to review impeachment of Blagojevich has subpoenaed Burris. He said he would return to Springfield on Thursday to appear before the panel. (ANI)
- Indian-American fundraiser under US scanner - Apr 13, 2011
- Tainted Blagojevich stuns all by naming ex-Illinois AG to replace Obama in Senate - Dec 31, 2008
- Former Illinois Gov. Blagojevich sentenced to 14 years for corruption - Dec 08, 2011
- Burris set to replace Obama in Senate - Jan 13, 2009
- Legal experts say Illinois Governor Blagojevich being judged prematurely - Jan 01, 2009
- Facing impeachment, Illinois governor cites Gandhi - Jan 27, 2009
- Senator in Obama's vacated seat says he was asked for donations - Feb 15, 2009
- Defiant Illinois governor names pick for Obama seat - Dec 31, 2008
- Indian-American offered to raise $1 mn for Senate seat - Jul 09, 2010
- Former Illinois Governor Blagojevich found guilty of lying to FBI - Aug 18, 2010
- Rod Blagojevich Apologizes For Comments About President Barack Obama - Jan 12, 2010
- Indian American fundraiser for jailed governor arrested - Jun 21, 2012
- Obamas Senate seat may remain vacant for months - Dec 20, 2008
- Former Illinois governor guilty of lying - Aug 18, 2010
- Illinois lawmakers approve a resolution to impeach Governor - Dec 16, 2008
Tags: barack obama, certificate of appointment, dick durbin, fox news, governor rod blagojevich, illinois attorney general, illinois secretary of state, illinois secretary of state jesse white, illinois senator dick, president elect, rod blagojevich, ronald burris, secretary of state jesse white, senate chamber, senate floor, senate majority leader, senate majority leader harry, senate majority leader harry reid, senator dick durbin, us senate