Defence Minister Antony meets Sergei IvanovNovember 14th, 2007 - 2:30 am ICT by admin
Ivanov who looks after the military-industrial complex in the government is a close ally of President Vladimir Putin.
Antony will leave for home on Friday, a day after India and Russia agreed to produce and co-develop the Fifth Generation Fighter Aircraft (FGFA).
The agreement was reached at the 7th India-Russia Inter -Governmental Commission on Military Technical Cooperation talks in Moscow, which was co-chaired by Antony and his Russian counterpart Serdyukov Anatoly.
The negotiations on the joint manufacturing and development of the new generation fighter aircraft have been going on for the last five years, and the present agreement inked is similar to the successful joint project of developing Brahmos supersonic cruise missile.
“It’s a major landmark, and I hope very soon we will be able to set the Inter- Governmental Agreement on co -development and co- production of multi role transport aircraft also,” Antony said.
The defence ties between India and Russia are termed ‘time-tested’ and close to 70 percent of India’s inventory are directly or indirectly related to Russia.
Moscow is keen on retaining the Indian market in the face of growing competition from the U.S., French and Israeli armaments majors.
Antony’s trip has set the stage for Prime Minister Manmohan Singh’s visit to Moscow in November for his annual summit with Russian President Vladimir Putin. By Sanjay Kumar (ANI)
- India, Russia to soon ink advanced fighter deal - Oct 07, 2010
- 'Antony won't witness fifth generation combat plane flight' - Sep 30, 2011
- India to get 250-300 advanced jets co-developed with Russia (Lead) - Oct 07, 2010
- Antony to take up Gorshkov issue during Russia visit - Oct 09, 2009
- India to buy 250-300 stealth fighter jets from Russia - Oct 07, 2010
- India, Russia to review defence ties - Oct 04, 2011
- India, Russia to hold annual military cooperation talks - Oct 05, 2010
- Antony to begin three-day visit to Russia today - Oct 13, 2009
- Antony to undertake three-day visit of Russia - Oct 09, 2009
- Antony flags delays in Russian defence supplies - Oct 05, 2011
- India, Russia agree to extend military cooperation for 10 years - Oct 15, 2009
- Putin arrives, nuclear, Gorshkov pacts on table - Mar 12, 2010
- India, Russia to discuss increased military ties Monday - Sep 28, 2008
- India set for Putin boost, to sign nuclear, Gorshkov pacts (Lead) - Mar 11, 2010
- India set for Putin boost, to sign nuclear, Gorshkov pacts - Mar 11, 2010
Tags: admiral gorshkov, antony, brahmos, defence projects, fighter aircraft, generation fighter, governmental agreement, governmental commission, India, inked, moscow, president vladimir putin, prime minister manmohan singh, russia, russian counterpart, russian president vladimir putin, sanjay kumar, sergei ivanov