Deceased Malay Indian’’s family accuses hospital for concealing cause of deathMarch 7th, 2009 - 4:57 pm ICT by ANI
Petaling Jaya, Mar 7 (ANI): The family of A. Kugan, who died in police custody on January 20, has lodged a complaint against the Serdang Hospital and Dr Abdul Karim Tajuddin, for allegedly concealing the cause of his death in the first post-mortem report.
According to The Star, they filed a complaint against the hospital at the Petaling Jaya district police headquarters.
The second post-mortem report, which was conducted on the request of the family by pathologist Dr Prashant N. Samberkar from the University Malaya Medical Centre, stated that Kugan died from being repeatedly beaten.
The first post-mortem report had claimed that Kugan’’s death happened due to fluid in the lungs.
The USJ police authorities had arrested the 22-year-old Kugan on January 14 for suspected involvement in a car theft syndicate. The police had later recovered 19 stolen luxury cars.
Kugan died a few days later during police interrogation.
According to his family lawyer, N. Surendran, the first report missed several key observations and failed to ascertain a conclusive cause of death.
“From the second independent report, we were able to scientifically prove that the injuries on Kugan’’s body were the cause of death,” said Surendran.
The lawyer also dismissed Serdang Hospital director Dr Mohd Norzi Ghazali’’s claims that a mob of 50 barged into the mortuary and tampered with Kugan’’s body.
“We have submitted evidence to Inspector-General of Police Tan Sri Musa Hassan to prove that we were allowed in by staff members,” he said, adding that since both autopsies were done after the alleged incident, they should have yielded the same results anyway. (ANI)
- Kugan''s family shows no confidence in Health Ministry inquiry - Mar 12, 2009
- Kugan's family sues Malaysian cops to recover items - May 29, 2009
- Malaysian Health Ministry promises fair post-mortem inquiry into Malay Indian's death - Apr 20, 2009
- Malaysian Indian Congress to seek Oz specialists' advice on Kugan's death - Apr 09, 2009
- Kugans family to send his body samples to Aussie lab - Feb 06, 2009
- Cop to be charged in Malay Indian's custodial death - Sep 29, 2009
- Chhattisgarh cop suspended for youth's custodial death - Feb 22, 2012
- Custodial death victim died of internal injuries: Autopsy - Feb 22, 2012
- Sri Lankan dies trying buried alive record - Mar 05, 2012
- Court seeks original records from army on officer's death - May 03, 2012
- Uttar Pradesh rights panel takes up killed doctor's case - Jun 24, 2011
- Malaysian Indian youth laid to rest after custody death (Lead) - Jan 28, 2009
- Malaysias CID director says no cover up in Kugan case - Mar 06, 2009
- Afghan doctor found dead in Delhi - Jun 22, 2011
- Congress leader dies in mysterious circumstances - Aug 10, 2012
Tags: abdul karim, car theft, district police headquarters, family lawyer, fluid in the lungs, ghazali, hospital director, independent report, kugan, malaya medical centre, police authorities, police interrogation, post mortem report, prashant, serdang hospital, surendran, tajuddin, tan sri musa hassan, university malaya medical, university malaya medical centre