Deccan Chargers eager for win against toppers DaredevilsMay 12th, 2009 - 5:58 pm ICT by IANS
Durban, May 12 (IANS) Deccan Chargers will be looking to brighten their chances of making the semi-finals in the Indian Premier League (IPL) when they face table toppers Delhi Daredevils here Wednesday.
Daredevils are almost through to the last four with 14 points from nine matches and a win against Deccan Chargers at the Kingsmead will only make them feel comfortable at the top.
Daredevils are on a three-match winning streak and will like to carry the momentum against Deccan Chargers, who defeated defending champions Rajasthan Royals in their last match.
For Daredevils, skipper Virender Sehwag will be back but his return will create some selection problems regarding David Warner’s place in the team. Warner has been in good form in the tournament and the Australian will have to sit out.
Daredevils stand-in captain Gautam Gambhir said: “I don’t think if Viru was fit, David Warner would have fit into the XI. We have got some very good strokeplayers in the side. I don’t think it’s a headache, it’s a plus thing for us, it’s a bonus for our side. Having players like Sehwag, Warner and Tillakaratne Dilshan in the side is an advantage for us.”
Gambhir said that Daredevils are not thinking of the semi-finals and are taking each game at a time.
“There is not a lot of difference in the points table. It’s very important to take each game very seriously and try and win each and every game. In this year’s IPL there is no room for complacency. And I think it’s important to carry the momentum. Twenty20 cricket is all about momentum. And once you get the momentum, just hold onto it,” said Sehwag.
With Ashish Nehra, Pradeep Sangwan and Dirk Nannes bowling well, legendary Australian fast bowler Glenn McGrath is likely to warm the bench again.
Deccan Chargers are high on confidence after defeating Rajasthan Royals. A win against Daredevils will give them 14 points from 11 matches and that will obviously brighten their chances of making it to the semi-finals.
Deccan Chargers batting has been bolstered with the return of Andrew Symonds. Rohit Sharma has been performing well both with the bat and ball. But it will need an all-round performance by the Deccan Chargers to beat the formidable Delhi Daredevils.
- Daredevils aim to again top the table (Preview) - May 09, 2012
- Deccan Chargers hope to end losing streak against Daredevils - Apr 18, 2012
- Super Kings to start IPL title defence against Mumbai Indians - Jan 06, 2012
- No problem batting in any position: Naman Ojha - Apr 28, 2012
- Jayawardene enjoying his role as opener for Daredevils - Apr 28, 2012
- Warner confident of filling in for Pietersen - May 05, 2012
- Daredevils looking for a home win against Deccan Chargers - Apr 18, 2011
- Daredevils, a pale shadow of their past - Apr 19, 2011
- I was confident of a win once I batted beyond 15 overs: Sehwag - May 06, 2011
- Warner's wicket was crucial: Christian - Apr 19, 2011
- We will have to plan for Sehwag and Warner, says Cameron White - Apr 18, 2011
- Deccan Chargers hope to keep their IPL campaign afloat by beating Delhi - May 05, 2011
- Sangakkara tips Knight Riders to win IPL - May 10, 2012
- No score safe in IPL-V - May 10, 2012
- Deccan Chargers beat Daredevils for semi-final berth - Apr 19, 2010
Tags: chargers, complacency, daredevils, david warner, deccan, dilshan, durban, gautam gambhir, glenn mcgrath, ipl, kingsmead, last match, nehra, premier league, royals, selection problems, semi finals, skipper, table toppers, winning streak