Debris is from missing Air France jetJune 3rd, 2009 - 1:03 pm ICT by ANI
Brasilia, June 3 (ANI): Plane wreckage spotted by Brazilian jets is from the Air France airliner that vanished over the Atlantic Ocean, it has been confirmed.Brazil’s defence minister Nelson Jobim said the debris was “without a doubt” from the jet that disappeared with 228 people on board.
Aircraft seats, a life jacket, bits of white material, an orange buoy, a barrel and traces of oil were seen in two floating patches about 35 miles apart.
Brazilian air force pilots spotted the debris around 400 miles beyond the island of Fernando de Noronha.
This was roughly along the route that Flight 447 was taking from Rio de Janeiro to Paris.
The pilots found no signs of life.
It was carrying 216 passengers of 32 nationalities, including seven children and one baby, Air France said.
Sixty-one were French citizens, 58 Brazilian and 26 German, five British and three young Irish women. Twelve crew members were also on board.
The Airbus A330 flew into turbulent weather four hours after taking off from Rio and 15 minutes later sent an automatic message reporting electrical faults, the airline said. (ANI)
- Bodies found, no black box among 2009 Air France crash wreckage - Apr 05, 2011
- Search continues for missing Air France jet with 228 aboard (Lead) - Jun 02, 2009
- Debris not from Air France plane wreck: Official - Jun 05, 2009
- Brazil confirms finding missing plane's debris - Jun 03, 2009
- Air France-KLM CEO Pierre-Henri Gourgeon resigns - Oct 18, 2011
- Air France plane may have been bombed, says pilot - Jun 04, 2009
- Brazilian pilot reports possible sighting of disappeared French plane's wreckage - Jun 02, 2009
- Bodies Found from downed Air France flight AF447 - Jun 07, 2009
- Bodies from missing Air France plane found - Jun 07, 2009
- Brazil confirms missing plane debris found - Jun 03, 2009
- Body recovered from 2009 Air France flight - May 05, 2011
- Brazil confirms Air France AF447 Bodies found - Jun 07, 2009
- Brazil confirms wreckage is from Air France AF447 crash - Jun 03, 2009
- Pilot training blamed for 2009 Air France crash - Jul 29, 2011
- France formally begins probe into Air France disaster - Jun 03, 2009
Tags: AF447, air force pilots, air france, airbus a330, aircraft seats, airliner, automatic message, board aircraft, brazilian air force, crew members, defence minister, electrical faults, fernando de noronha, french citizens, irish women, nationalities, nelson jobim, plane wreckage, rio de janeiro, signs of life, weather four