Death toll in Iraq bombing climbs to 10February 13th, 2009 - 4:39 pm ICT by IANS
Baghdad, Feb 13 (DPA) The number of Shiite pilgrims killed when a bomb exploded in the southern Iraqi city of Karbala Thursday climbed to 10, Iraqi medics said Friday.
Another 56 people were injured in the blast, many of them critically, hospital workers said.
“We carried several wounded and dead people, including the remains of a woman’s head,” an eyewitness told Baghdad’s Voices of Iraq news agency Friday.
The attack targeted pilgrims commemorating the death of the Prophet Mohammed’s grandson, Ali, at the Battle of Karbala in the year 680.
Millions of Shiites walk to his shrine in Karbala, 130 km south of Baghdad, over the course of the “Arbaine”, or 40 days of mourning, every year, in a ritual that will reach its conclusion Monday.
- Suicide bomber kills 53 in Iraq - Jan 15, 2012
- 50 killed in Iraq suicide bombing (Lead) - Jan 14, 2012
- Suicide bomber kills 41 pilgrims in Iraq (Lead) - Feb 01, 2010
- Three die, 30 hurt in Iraq bombings - Dec 12, 2010
- Car bombings kill two in Iraq holy city - Jul 16, 2011
- Suicide bombing kills at least 40 in Iraq (Third lead) - Feb 13, 2009
- 10 killed, 70 injured in bomb attacks in Iraq - Jul 16, 2011
- 60 dead in attack on Iraqi Shias, bombings (Lead) - Jan 05, 2012
- 20 killed, 75 injured in Iraq blasts - Feb 05, 2010
- 25 pilgrims killed in Iraq bombings (Second Lead) - Feb 04, 2010
- Car bombs rock Iraqi city of Karbala, 12 dead, 150 wounded - Jan 24, 2011
- Car bomb kills 10, wounds 38 in Iraqi city of Karbala - Nov 08, 2010
- 27 killed, 75 injured in Iraq bombings (Lead, changing dateline) - Feb 05, 2010
- 42 killed, 100 injured in attacks in Karbala (Second lead, changing dateline) - Feb 06, 2010
- 32 killed, 68 injured in Baghdad car bombings (Lead) - Jun 16, 2012
Tags: ali, baghdad, battle of karbala, bomb, conclusion, death of the prophet, death toll in iraq, iraq bombing, iraq news, iraqi city, medics, news agency, prophet mohammed, shiite pilgrims, shiites, voices of iraq