‘Dear Uncle Adolf’: documentary details fan letters sent to HitlerApril 26th, 2010 - 8:06 pm ICT by ANI
London, Apr.26 (ANI): A new documentary has detailed tens of thousands of surviving letters fans sent to Nazi dictator Adolf Hitler during the Second World War.
‘Dear Uncle Adolf’ is said to be the first documentary detailing these letters that lay undiscovered in Russian archives till 2007.
On discovery, they formed the basis of a German book called ‘Letters to Hitler’.
Last night, according to The Telegraph, Austrian-born Hitler’s grip over Germany was unveiled as actors read out the letters.
They were letters that often accompanied gifts, in the case of Margarethe Wagner, a pair of socks sent in 1938 after Hitler occupied the Czech Sudetenland border region.
“I knitted these for you as you freed us,” she wrote.
Frau Troeltzsch of Berlin was another fan. She sent Hitler three silk handkerchiefs with pictures of Hitler sewn into them which Hitler deputy Rudolf Hess sent back saying “you do not have permission to send handkerchiefs with pictures of Herr Hitler!”
Such women were later put under Gestapo monitoring as Hitler feared that his cult of personality could lead to a destabilisation of home life in the Reich.
As he climbed further up the ladder of power, so the tempo of the letters increased.
So large was Hitler’s fan following that a special department was created in the postal services in both Munich and Berlin to deal with the tsunami of paper wending its way to him every day. (ANI)
- Hitler once spared the life of a Jew - his ex-officer - Jul 06, 2012
- Remains of Hitler's deputy cremated in Germany - Jul 22, 2011
- Remains of Hitler's deputy to be destroyed - Jul 21, 2011
- Why did Adolf Hitler's deputy Rudolf Hess come to Britain? - Oct 26, 2010
- Adolf Hitler's deputy's ill-fated solo flight to be plot for new film - Mar 21, 2010
- Hitler's last surviving bodyguard stops replying to fan mail - Jan 28, 2011
- Germany probing playing cards of Hitler, other dicators - Feb 08, 2011
- British Legion's shameful visit to Hitler revealed after 75 years - Nov 01, 2010
- Germany's first Hitler exhibition seeks to break age-old taboos - Oct 13, 2010
- Hitler was a great man, says Holocaust denier David Irving - Sep 28, 2010
- 'Hitler enjoyed drinking at British pubs' - Nov 27, 2011
- British spy sang for Hitler with secret documents in her underwear - Sep 10, 2010
- Film on Hitler to hit screens July 29 (With Images) - Jul 02, 2011
- Hitler's bedsheets up for auction - Nov 25, 2011
- Hitler's exhibition in Berlin extended due to throngs of visitors - Jan 07, 2011
Tags: adolf hitler, border region, cult of personality, documentary details, fan letters, german book, gestapo, herr hitler, ladder, munich, nazi dictator, pair of socks, pictures of hitler, postal services, rudolf hess, russian archives, second world war, silk handkerchiefs, sudetenland, uncle adolf