Deadly teen trend - ‘Car surfing’, ‘ghost riding’ and skitching’October 17th, 2010 - 5:11 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, Oct 17 (ANI): ‘Car surfing’ on top of cars, ‘ghost riding’ with no one behind the wheel and ’skitching’ riding a skateboard pulled by a moving vehicle-are a wide range of dangerous and potentially deadly activities catching fire with young people.
“An injury even at those slow speeds can result in significant neurologic disability and even death,” CBS News quoted Alan R. Cohen as saying.
According to a CDC report between 1990 and 2008, 58 people died in car surfing accidents alone. Another 41 were injured.
Injuries and deaths from ghost riding and skitching have never been counted, so the numbers are likely far worse.
“It feels like I’m in a dream,” said Craig Doolittle, whose son died in a skitching accident.
“I can’t believe this has happened,” he said.
Doolittle’s son Cody from Ojai, Calif., lost control of his skateboard after hitching a ride on the back of his friend’s SUV in Aug.
“He pendulumed. The skateboard went forward and he just swung down and cracked his head open
“It’s pretty traumatic seeing your own son in that kind of a demise.
“As a fireman we try to help people and to fix things, and I couldn’t fix him,” said Doolittle.
Caleb Potter, 28, from Cape Cod, Mass. was more fortunate. He survived his accident, but suffered severe injuries.
“It was a mess, a mother’s nightmare,” said Sharyn Lindsay, Potter’s mother. (ANI)
- Princess Dianna's ghost caught on camera - Jan 19, 2012
- 15-year-old girl dies in an amusement park in a ride - Jul 19, 2010
- Lil Wayne in assault probe - May 23, 2012
- Katie Medley survives theatre shooting and then gives birth to a baby boy - Jul 24, 2012
- Azharuddin's son remains critical - Sep 13, 2011
- CDC Study Finds Seat Belt Usage At 85 Percent - Jan 07, 2011
- `Building was swinging like giant pendulum' - Mar 12, 2011
- Azharuddin's son still critical - Sep 12, 2011
- Six killed in Uttar Pradesh accident - May 10, 2011
- Tamil Nadu minister's son dies in accident - Jun 25, 2012
- Becks shows off skating skills - Nov 15, 2010
- Two injured as mining bridge collapses - Feb 15, 2012
- Riots in Liberia ahead of presidential poll run-off - Nov 07, 2011
- Car flies into a Melbourne, Australian house - Oct 29, 2010
- Harry Potter theme park super sizes ride for obese visitors - Sep 17, 2010
Tags: accidents, caleb potter, cape cod, cape cod mass, cbs news, cdc, cdc report, death cbs, demise, doolittle, fireman, hitching a ride, neurologic disability, nightmare, ojai, sharyn, skateboard, skitching, slow speeds, son cody