Deadly Lassa virus kills 13 in NigeriaFebruary 15th, 2012 - 7:22 pm ICT by IANS
Abuja, Feb 15 (IANS) A deadly haemorrhagic virus Lassa has killed at least 13 people since its detection a week ago in Nigeria, Xinhua reported.
The virus was detected in Taraba state and the deaths reported at the Federal Medical Center in Jalingo, which was forced to close some of its units after the outbreak.
Mustapha Hamman-Gabdo, state commissioner for health, said some people admitted to the centre for different ailments were later diagnosed with Lassa fever.
The virus is transmitted primarily though contact with rat excreta.
- Deadly Lassa virus kills 40 in Nigeria - Feb 22, 2012
- Rat-borne disease kills 10 in China - Dec 31, 2011
- Immediately isolate new lethal virus patients: Virology institute - Jan 19, 2011
- 17 killed in Nigeria poll violence - Apr 20, 2011
- 77 new polio cases found in Nigeria - Sep 09, 2012
- 20 killed in Nigerian village attacks - Jul 08, 2012
- West Nile virus kills four in US - Aug 02, 2012
- Suicide bomber kills four in Nigeria - Jul 14, 2012
- No need to panic about killer virus: ICMR - Jan 19, 2011
- Lethal virus not spreading in Gujarat, says minister - Jan 20, 2011
- New tool that can quickly identify dangerous viruses developed - Nov 23, 2010
- US hit by worst outbreak of deadly West Nile virus - Aug 23, 2012
- 18 killed in Nigerian university attack - Apr 30, 2012
- Now a portable tool to detect dengue mosquitoes! - May 23, 2012
- Impossible to detect Congo fever virus-infected animals, says Gujarat Health Minister - Feb 08, 2011