Dead Proteas tenor’s music to be used at World Cup opening ceremonyJune 9th, 2010 - 5:43 pm ICT by ANI
Johannesburg, June 9 (ANI): The opening ceremony of the World Cup will see the music of the late South African opera singer Siphiwo Ntshebe being used, the event’s organisers have announced.Ntshebe, 34, died of meningitis last month, and was personally chosen by former president Nelson Mandela to perform.
The BBC quoted organisers, as saying that his music would be used as “a tribute both to his music and memory and to the indomitable spirit of South Africa”.
His song - Hope - will also be released as a single.
In a statement, Mandela said: “Very rarely does life put across your path a meritorious person with such outstanding singing ability. Such was the person of Siphiwo Desmond Ntshebe. It is some comfort, given the tragedy of Siphiwo’s early death, that as the world’s spotlight falls on South Africa millions of people across the globe will have the chance to hear and be uplifted by Siphiwo’s wonderful music.”"It is, of course, the greatest sadness that he will not be here to sing it but we can all be thankful that he completed recording his inspirational album before his death,” he added.Mandela and Ntshebe’s family have also agreed to Epic Records releasing am album - also called Hope - which the singer completed just before he died.
The single features a message of hope, which was written and spoken by Mandela himself. (ANI)
- Mandela-chosen 'Black Pavarotti' dies weeks before World Cup performance - May 27, 2010
- Mandela chooses Brit tune for World Cup song - May 25, 2010
- Delhi toasts spirit of Nelson Mandela - Jul 18, 2011
- Nelson Mandela admitted to hospital - Jan 27, 2011
- Whitney Houston: Another star falls (Roundup) - Feb 12, 2012
- Mandela makes recording debut spoken-word vocal in song composed in his honour - Feb 12, 2011
- New Take That album coming out next year - May 23, 2012
- South Africa found it inconvenient to grant visa: Dalai Lama (Lead) - Oct 07, 2011
- South Africa to celebrate Mandela's 94th birthday in style - Jun 08, 2012
- Football World Cup begins officially - Jun 11, 2010
- Legendary "Sing Along" Artist Mitch Miller Dies At 99 - Aug 03, 2010
- I hope my song captures unity of FIFA World Cup: singer K'Naan (Interview)(Lead) - Jul 05, 2010
- Somali singer K'Naan strikes a chord with Indians - Jul 05, 2010
- He called me 'Bharat Ratna': Lata remembers Bhimsen Joshi - Jan 26, 2011
- Bikers ride with Mandela's message in Delhi - Jul 19, 2012
Tags: bbc, desmond, epic records, former president, globe, indomitable spirit, inspirational album, johannesburg, message of hope, music and memory, nelson mandela, opening ceremony, opera singer, president nelson mandela, sadness, south africa, spotlight, tenor, wonderful music, world cup