Davis Cup: Misra says India have 50-50 chanceMarch 6th, 2009 - 8:52 pm ICT by IANS
Kaohsiung(Chinese Taipei), March 6 (IANS) Indian Davis Cup non-playing captain S. P. Misra said India have a 50-50 chance of winning their Asia-Oceania Group I tie against Chinese Taipei after sharing the opening day’s singles here Friday.
Somdev Devvarman defeated Ti Chen and Lu Yen-Hsun neutralised the advantage by beating Rohan Bopanna. Both won in straight sets.
Misra is confident that Leander Paes and Mahesh Bhupathi will beat Tsung-Hua Yang and Chu-Huan Yi in the doubles Saturday and that leaves India to win one of the reverse singles matches Sunday.
“The second day’s doubles will be crucial for us. Leander and Mahesh combine beautifully and we are confident that they will give us the lead. Even a lead on the second day will be vital for us,” Misra told IANS from Kaohsiung.
“I would give us a 50-50 chance. They have home advantage and also a top-100 player in Lu. But we will fight it out.”
Misra was pleased with Somdev’s performance and said the 24-year-old played wonderfully well to give India the lead.
“Somdev played very well to open his account in the Davis Cup. He beat Ti Chen comfortably. He will be playing reverse singles against Lu and Somdev’s strong point is that he is not scared of playing against better-rated players. If he could win the first set, Lu will find the going tough,” he said.
However, Misra felt that Bopanna squandered a lot of opportunities against Lu.
“Rohan played very well in the first set, but he missed a lot of chances which proved expensive. As Lu grew in confidence he was too good with his ground strokes and did not give Rohan any more chances,” he said.
- Mahesh Bhupathi opts out of Davis Cup tie - Mar 06, 2012
- Singles will decide India's Davis Cup fate - Mar 05, 2009
- Somdev to play opening singles of Davis Cup tie - Mar 05, 2009
- Davis Cup: Somdev happy with weather and courts - Sep 15, 2011
- Davis Cup: Somdev to lead India's challenge against Japan - Aug 19, 2011
- Davis Cup: India, Chinese Taipei split opening day's singles (Lead) - Mar 06, 2009
- Somdev looking for a winning start against Brazil - Sep 15, 2010
- Davis Cup: Somdev to spearhead India's challenge against Serbia - Jan 29, 2011
- Sonia, Somdev get wild card entry for London Olympics - Jun 26, 2012
- Sania, Somdev get wild card; 7 Indians for Olympic tennis (Lead) - Jun 27, 2012
- French Open: Paes-Bhupathi, Bopanna-Qureshi advance, Somdev exits - May 26, 2011
- Somdev's strained shoulder makes him doubtful for reverse singles - Sep 17, 2011
- India, Chinese Taipei drawn 1-1 in Davis Cup - Mar 06, 2009
- India up 2-1 after doubles victory in Davis Cup - Mar 07, 2009
- Davis Cup: Somdev and Bopanna outclassed, India go 0-2 down - Sep 16, 2011
Tags: asia oceania, chinese taipei, chu, confidence, davis cup, ground strokes, home advantage, huan, India, leander paes, mahesh bhupathi, misra, opening day, rohan bopanna, somdev devvarman, straight sets, strong point, yen