David Miliband terms Gaddafi’s son’s LSE lecture in his father’s name “horrific”March 7th, 2011 - 12:41 pm ICT by ANI
London, Mar 7 (ANI): Former British Foreign Secretary David Miliband has said it was ‘horific’ to see that a London School of Economics lecture in the name of his father was delivered by Libyan leader Colonel Muammar Gaddafi’s son, Saif.
The Ralph Miliband memorial lecture was given by Saif Gaddafi last May.
On being asked his opinion about the speech given by Saif, Miliband said: “It’s horrific. The Ralph Miliband Programme at the LSE was founded by a former student of my dad’s in the 1950s who said he’d learnt more about the Right in the seminars of my dad - who was obviously on the Left - because my dad believed in showing all sides of opinion.”
“The idea of Saif Gaddafi giving a lecture under his name is just horrific to him and horrific to the whole family obviously,” the Daily Mail quoted the British MP, as saying.
Miliband comments have come following the resignation of LSE director Sir Howard Davies over the university’s embarrassing links with the Libyan dictatorship.
On Sunday, Saif slammed former LSE friends as ‘cowards turning on us’. Saif faces being stripped of his PhD degree over claims that it was plagiarised and written by paid consultants.
Professor Abubakr Buera of Benghazi’s Garyounis University had earlier claimed that a Libyan academic who had helped Saif to draft his dissertation was later rewarded with an ambassador’s posting to Europe.
“I learnt that Saif gathered some PhD holders from Garyounis University in Benghazi, Libya, to help him write his doctoral dissertation. Among the people he consulted was a professor of economics who was a graduate from Germany,” he said.
“His name is Dr Menesi; what gives credibility to this allegation is that Dr Menesi, who was then retired, was brought back to active service as a government bank chairman in Libya, then governor to the Central Bank in Libya, then minister of finance, and finally Libya’s ambassador to Austria,” Professor Buera added. (ANI)
- Tony Blair tried to get Saif Gaddafi place at Oxford - Dec 01, 2011
- Gaddafi's son's donation was openly joked over PhD degree, says LSE insider - Mar 13, 2011
- Britain's ambassador to US denies involvement in helping Saif Gaddafi get 'dodgy' LSE degree - Apr 02, 2011
- London School of Economics chief quits over Gaddafi links (Lead) - Mar 04, 2011
- Arab world turmoil: Libya tense, sectarian clashes in Bahrain (Roundup) - Mar 04, 2011
- Gaddafi's son given special assistance while in London: Sources - Mar 21, 2011
- Rumours about Gaddafi stepping down "ridiculous: Saif al-Islam Gaddafi - Apr 12, 2011
- Reports of Gaddafi leaving power ridiculous, says son - Apr 12, 2011
- Squatters enjoying luxury London home of Gadaffi's son - Mar 11, 2011
- Libyan rebels to move headquarters to Tripoli - Aug 24, 2011
- LSE director quits over Gaddafi links - Mar 04, 2011
- Libya's deposed leader Gaddafi captured: A profile - Oct 20, 2011
- Gaddafi's son hiding on Venezuelan island - Feb 25, 2011
- Libyan interim PM assures fair trial of Gaddafi's son (Lead) - Nov 20, 2011
- LSE head resigns over financial links with Gaddafi regime - Mar 04, 2011
Tags: abubakr, active service, benghazi libya, british mp, colonel muammar gaddafi, daily mail, david miliband, doctoral dissertation, garyounis university, howard davies, libyan leader colonel muammar gaddafi, london school of economics, memorial lecture, minister of finance, muammar gaddafi, phd degree, phd holders, ralph miliband, secretary david, sir howard