Dates for India-Pakistan talks being finalised: ReportJune 25th, 2009 - 10:37 am ICT by IANS
Islamabad, June 25 (IANS) Pakistan’s High Commissioner to India Shahid Malik is here to help finalise the dates and the agenda for the forthcoming India-Pakistan talks, a media report said Thursday.
Malik, who met Indian Foreign Secretary Shivshankar Menon in New Delhi Tuesday to decide on the dates for the proposed meeting of the foreign secretaries of the two countries, has arrived here Wednesday to hold consensus regarding the talks, Online news agency reported quoting Pakistan’s foreign office spokesman Abdul Basit.
According to Basit, a schedule and agenda for the proposed talks are yet to be discussed.
Sources have informed that the diplomat would also attend an important meeting in the foreign ministry, where he would debate the issue of forthcoming talks.
Even though there was no official word about the meeting, sources have said the foreign secretary’s meeting may take place next week.
Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and Pakistan President Asif Ali Zardari, at their meeting on the sidelines of the Shanghai Cooperation Organisation summit in Russia last week, decided that the foreign secretaries will meet soon to review the steps taken by Islamabad to curb anti-India terror emanating from its soil.
The peace process between two neighbours was stalled following Nov 26 terror attacks in Mumbai that India alleges was planned and executed by leaders of the Pakistan-based Lashkar-e-Taiba terror gourp.
At least 170 people were killed in the Mumbai carnage last year.
- Pakistani envoy meets Indian foreign secretary - Jun 23, 2009
- Pakistan hopes Manmohan-Zardari talks will push peace (Lead) - Apr 05, 2012
- India proposes foreign secretary-level talks with Pakistan (Roundup) - Feb 04, 2010
- India, Pakistan defer signing of visa pact, discuss 26/11 (Second Lead) - May 26, 2012
- India proposes foreign secretary-level talks, Pakistan welcomes (IntroRoundup) - Feb 04, 2010
- India, Pakistan harp on differing agendas ahead of talks (Round-up) - Feb 24, 2010
- With differing agendas, India, Pakistan to talk Thursday - Feb 24, 2010
- Manmohan, Gilani headed for first talks in months: sources - Apr 26, 2010
- Krishna to present proof on morphed images to Pakistan - Aug 20, 2012
- India, Pakistan to hold trust-building talks Thursday - Jun 23, 2010
- Zardari to invite Manmohan to Pakistan, all issues on table - Apr 07, 2012
- 26/11 ghosts cast shadow on India-Pakistan talks - Jul 02, 2012
- India, Pakistan to hold exploratory talks in Thimphu - Feb 05, 2011
- India-Pakistan talks agenda: 26/11, counter-terror - Mar 27, 2011
- India, Pakistan talks Feb 25 in New Delhi (Lead) - Feb 12, 2010
Tags: asif ali zardari, carnage, foreign ministry, foreign office, forthcoming talks, india pakistan, indian prime minister, indian prime minister manmohan singh, lashkar e taiba, manmohan, manmohan singh, menon, office spokesman, pakistan talks, peace process, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, shahid malik, shanghai cooperation organisation, terror attacks