Darren Powell dropped for tour of EnglandApril 7th, 2009 - 9:57 pm ICT by IANS
London, April 7 (IANS) The West Indies pace bowler Daren Powell has been dropped for the upcoming England tour.
Also absent from the squad was all-rounder Ryan Hinds, 28, while the selectors have taken three uncapped players in paceman Nelon Pascal, seamer Andrew Richardson and opener Dale Richards.
Richardson, 27, was a revelation for Jamaica in the domestic season while 21-year-old Pascal has been in fine form for Grenada.
“This year Richardson has been bowling very well,” West Indies chairman of selectors Clyde Butts was quoted as saying in the Guardian. “He is tall, accurate and has the ability to get wickets at crucial stages in the game. Pascal has been doing well and he has some pace and can be a handful. The selectors believe he should be given the chance to grow and feature at international level.”
Also named in the 17-man squad were batsman Narsingh Deonarine and all-rounder David Bernard, who have been out of the side for four and six years, respectively.
“Bernard has been out for a while, but over the years has been a consistent performer for Jamaica and this year has come to the show,” added Butts. “Deonarine has made over 1,000 [runs] and has batted really well. We felt he needed to get scores and take his game to another level and he did just that. He has been consistent and deserves this chance.”
The West Indies squad will travel to England this month for two Tests and three one-day internationals. The first Test begins at Lord’s on May 6.
West Indies squad: Chris Gayle (capt), Denesh Ramdin (wicket-keeper), Lionel Baker, Sulieman Benn, David Bernard, Shivnarine Chanderpaul, Narsingh Deonarine, Fidel Edwards, Brendan Nash, Nelon Pascal, Dale Richards, Andrew Richardson, Darren Sammy, Ramnaresh Sarwan, Lendl Simmons, Devon Smith, Jerome Taylor.
- Six changes to Windies A-team for one-dayers against India A - Jun 27, 2012
- Bishoo dropped, in-form batsman Fudadin gets the nod - Apr 20, 2012
- Samuels, Bishoo, Kirk Edwards get WICB contracts - Oct 22, 2011
- Deonarine finally cleared for UK travel - May 10, 2012
- WICB refuses contracts to Gayle, Sarwan, Bravo, Pollard - Oct 05, 2011
- Smith included in squad for practice game against Australia - Mar 30, 2012
- Deonarine, Fudadin cleared to travel; Samuels arrives - May 09, 2012
- India A dismissed for 190 in first one-dayer - Jun 28, 2012
- Little play for Windies as rain dents preparation - May 08, 2012
- Offie Sunil Narine in Dwayne Bravo captained West Indies A - Nov 01, 2011
- West Indies sweating on batting trio as tour bowls off - May 06, 2012
- Edwards out, Ramdin returns as Windies vice captain - Jul 23, 2012
- Gayle likely to miss Caribbean T20 event for Big Bash - Dec 10, 2011
- Deonarine named in Windies squad for first Test - Apr 05, 2012
- Sammy keeps eyes on the skies as Windies face Lions - May 10, 2012
Tags: andrew richardson, chris gayle, consistent performer, denesh ramdin, devon smith, england london, england tour, fidel edwards, jerome taylor, lendl, lionel baker, man squad, narsingh deonarine, nelon, ramnaresh sarwan, seamer, shivnarine chanderpaul, sulieman, uncapped players, wicket keeper