Darren Gough ends his first class careerSeptember 23rd, 2008 - 9:10 pm ICT by IANS
London, Sep 23 (IANS) Former England fast bowler Darren Gough drew curtains to his first class career.The Yorkshire captain made his last first-class appearance Monday after deciding to sit out the final match of the season against Sussex.
Gough, 38, played his last home game against Somerset and was applauded off by the crowd.
“I wanted to go out in style - and that proved to me I am ready to retire. I am absolutely shattered now,” Gough was quoted as saying in BBC.
Gough took two wickets during his fiery first spell on the final day of the game at Somerset.
“I bowled as quick as I have for a long, long time in that first spell. I had the opposition saying that is the quickest they have faced all season and when they say stuff like that, I’d like to finish on that note.”
“When I look back I’m glad my last wicket was Justin Langer. I’ve had some great battles against him and it’s nice to know my last wicket in Yorkshire was someone as good as him.”
Gough took 855 first-class wickets in a career spanning two spells at his native Yorkshire and one stint with Essex.
But county cricket may not have seen the last of him as he is contemplating the possibility of playing in next summer’s Twenty20 Cup.
Gough played 58 Tests and claimed 229 wickets while his 159 one-day internationals fetched 235 wickets.
- Harbhajan Singh signs for Essex - Jul 03, 2012
- English cricket to have earliest start in 2012 - Nov 29, 2011
- Hayden lauds former mate Langer for breaking the Don's first class record - Jul 24, 2009
- Somerset teen's maiden first-class wicket is Tendulkar - Jul 17, 2011
- England announce unchanged squad for Oval Test - Aug 14, 2011
- Panesar, Davies return to England squad - Dec 09, 2011
- Ojha to play for English county surrey - Aug 02, 2011
- Lady luck shines for Delhi pacer Awana - May 26, 2012
- Carter's fiver overshadows Rohit Sharma's 94 but India A take lead - Jun 04, 2012
- UK Police seizes mobile of Essex cricketer in match fixing probe - Apr 12, 2010
- Injured Australian fast bowler Bracken calls it a day - Jan 29, 2011
- Former Barbados all-rounder dies at 50 - Aug 29, 2011
- Warner credits Langer for improving his consistency - Aug 08, 2011
- 'Strictly Come Dancing' experience gave me confidence to join TV industry: Gough - Dec 25, 2010
- Botham, Boycott, Trueman, Rhodes at Hall of Fame - Aug 09, 2009